Welcome to recipe #2 of Oat Week – Valentine’s Day Edition! This post is sponsored by my wonderful friends over at Bob’s Red Mill – we’re using their Gluten Free Oat Flour for this Giant Gluten Free Brownie Cookie!
Valentine’s Day 2015. aka. the day I worked up the nerves to ask the guy I really liked, aka. my best friend, over for dinner.
I’ve always been an all-in kinda gal; what better day is there to ask your crush over than the most romantic day of the year?
So, like the good food blogger I am, I lured him in with food. I was testing a recipe, and I told him I wanted a taste tester. Clever, yes? His friends wanted to go ice skating, but luckily for me, it was like 5 degrees outside and my guy wanted no part of it. So he agreed to come over to his good friend’s apartment for Valentine’s Day.
I’m not gonna lie, I was
mildly totally freaking out before he got to my apartment. I took the pictures for my Guacos this day, and after looking at them for like two seconds, you can probably tell that I had something else on my mind. ?
So this guy came over. We ate. We talked. I drew on his arm (What?). It was a super fun, low-key night. No “moves” were made. No romanticness occurred. But I ended up having a really awesome night with my very best friend.
I think that’s the point of Valentine’s Day; to spend the day with the people you really care about. And while I don’t need a day to tell my loved ones that I’m crazy about them, having a day dedicated to that very thing is always something I look forward to.
So I’m actually really stoked about Valentine’s Day this Sunday! And, I mean, it definitely helps that this year, I’ll be spending my time with that same guy. But this year, he’s my boyfran ?. And that we have fiesta, wine, and cookie plans this year. Because what is a holiday without delicious food?
Nay, what is a holiday without a Giant Gluten Free Brownie Cookie…for two?
Guys seriously, this is the best kind of sweet treat to share with your honey as you’re clinkin’ the wine and snuggling real close on the couch. Perfectly portioned for two, crazy rich and dreamy, and super-duper chocolatey. The perfect ending to your romantic evening. ?
So, while this cookie definitely gets some of its awe-factor from its size (seriously guys, we’re talking giant), but from its ingredient list, too!
What you won’t find here:
- refined sugar
- animal products
What you will find here:
- Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free Oat Flour: our flour of choice! I’ve used this flour in a few different recipes in the past, and I can honestly say that I’m OBSESSED. And when used in this recipe, magic happens. Out of the oven, this cookie tastes like a cakey brownie. But. If you stick it in the fridge and let it get all cold, it magically turns into a dense and fudgy brownie! Mark and I both preferred this cookie from the fridge, but you do you, chica.
- Coconut Oil and Nut Butter: needed to make this cookie all nice and rich! Use your favorite nut butter here! Just not peanut butter. I surely couldn’t post FOUR peanut butter recipes in a row. That would be crazy. So I’m definitely not recommending peanut butter. *wink wink nudge nudge* I totally did use peanut butter and it was amazing. ? But feel free to use your fav!
- CHOCOLATE: in two forms – unsweetened cocoa powder and chocolate chips! This recipe can be completely free of refined sugar and dairy if you use the right kind of chocolate chips, so this recipe is a total crowd-pleaser. I used some semi-sweet chocolate chips and loved it, but your favorite chocolate will work just beautifully. If you love your desserts sweet, a milk or even white chocolate chip should be your go to. If you’re into rich and decadent desserts, opt for a semi-sweet or dark chip. Whatever you fancy, you know it’s gonna be delish.
This Giant Gluten Free Brownie Cookie is a necessary addition to your Valentine’s Day plans with your loved one! When you’re all done with dinner, getting sleepy, and ready relax with your bae, imagine digging into this hunka hunka burnin’ love…
Now that’s what I call a happy Valentine’s Day.
- 2 Tbsp. coconut oil
- 3 Tbsp. nut butter*
- 2 Tbsp. pure maple syrup
- splash pure vanilla extract
- ¼ cup + 1 Tbsp. Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free Oat Flour
- 2 Tbsp. cocoa powder
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- pinch salt
- ¼ cup vegan chocolate chips, plus more for topping
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Melt coconut oil in a small bowl in the microwave or over the stove. Add nut butter, maple syrup, and vanilla extract, and mix to combine. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, add oat flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt, and whisk to combine.
- Add your wet ingredient to your dry ingredients, and mix with a silicone spatula or wooden spoon until combined. The dough will be wet, but it should come together in a ball. If not, add another Tbsp. oat flour.
- Add chocolate chips and mix to combine.
- Dump dough into a tall ball on your prepared baking sheet. Stud with additional chocolate chips for looks if desired. Bake 14-15 minutes, or until the edges start to get crispy.
- Allow to cool on the baking sheet.
- IF you like cakey brownies, enjoy warm/at room temperature (it's a bit crumbly this way). IF you like fudgy brownies, throw the cooled cookie in the fridge for about an hour, and then enjoy. We liked it much more cold from the fridge.
This Giant Gluten Free Brownie Cookie was inspired by the lovely Sally at Sally’s Baking Addiction!
A very special thank you goes to Bob’s Red Mill for sponsoring this post and for supplying me with some of their delicious products that I love for this recipe! All opinions are my own.
Affiliate links were used in this blog post. “Affiliate” is just a fancy way of saying that I get some money if you click on and purchase the products that are linked! The money I earn will go directly back into Fooduzzi, so I’d really appreciate you helping me “feed” my blogging efforts!!
Get updates on my blog!
I'll send you healthy takes on classic recipes, delectable recipe roundups, and more updates on my growing blog. You'll also receive a free eCookbook featuring my best recipes!