Blood Orange Mojitos
- Yield: 1 drink (easily doubled, tripled, etc.) 1x
- 1 Tbsp. honey or maple syrup
- 1 Tbsp. hot water
- 10 mint leaves
- 1 lime, cut into fourths
- 1 and 1/2 ounces aged rum (I used Cruzan)
- sparkling water
- 1–2 blood oranges, juiced (you’ll want about 2 Tbsp.)
- Add honey and hot water to a small bowl and mix to combine. This will be your Honey Simple Syrup. Set aside.
- Juice two pieces of lime into a cup of your choosing (I used a wine glass), and add the juiced lime rinds to the glass. Add the mint leaves and your Honey Simple Syrup.
- Using a long wooden spoon, carefully muddle – aka. crush – the mint leaves and lime. You want to bruise the mint and lime so that they release their oils. Oil = flavor.
- Add rum and ice, and mix to combine. Add sparkling water almost to the top of the glass, and mix well.
- Finally, add your blood orange juice. Toss in the remaining lime pieces and top with a mint sprig if desired.