Vegan Lemon Raspberry Cake
A fresh, fruity vegan cake made with lemon zest, raspberries, and whole wheat flour! Such a simple dessert, and perfect for Valentine’s Day, birthdays, or any day!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 8 servings
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
1/2 cup Bob’s Red Mill Organic All-Purpose Flour
1/2 cup + 2 Tbsp. Bob’s Red Mill Organic Whole Wheat Flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 cup + 1/3 cup raw cane sugar
1 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar or lemon juice
1 cup almond milk, at room temperature
zest of 2 large lemons
1/4 cup melted coconut oil
1/4 cup dairy free yogurt*
splash vanilla extract
6 oz. fresh raspberries**
1 stick (8 Tbsp.) vegan butter, at room temperature
1 and 1/2 cup powdered sugar
almond milk to thin
splash vanilla extract
- CAKE: Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Grease the bottoms of two 6″ aluminum round cake pans with melted coconut oil. Line the bottoms with parchment paper (use this method), then grease and flour the parchment paper and sides of each pan.
- Sift all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt into a large bowl. Add raw cane sugar, and whisk to combine. Set aside.
- Add apple cider vinegar to a liquid measuring cup. Then pour room temperature almond milk to the 1 cup line. Mix to combine. This is your vegan buttermilk!
- Add lemon zest, melted coconut oil, yogurt, and vanilla to the bowl of your stand mixer with the paddle attachment. Add your “buttermilk,” then start the motor on low. Slowly add your dry ingredients until everything is combined. The batter will be on the thinner side.
- Divide the batter into your two prepared cake pans (you can eye-ball it), and bake from 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Just start checking at the 20 minute mark, and you should be good to go.
- Allow your cakes to cook completely on a wire cooking rack before removing them from their pans. I covered mine with some plastic wrap and stuck them in the fridge overnight.
- FROSTING: Mash your raspberries with a mortar and pestle or with a small food processor. Add the raspberries to a saucepan and reduce on medium, stirring often, until most of the liquid has evaporated and you’re left with a thick jam – 8-10 minutes. Allow to cool completely before moving onto the next step.
- Add your vegan butter to the bowl of a stand mixer with the whisk attachment. Add 2 Tbsp. of your cooled raspberry jam, and mix to combine. Add your powdered sugar, and mix on low until combined, thinning out with almond milk if needed. Add your vanilla and salt, and mix until completely combined and fluffy.
- ASSEMBLE: Carefully level your cakes with a serrated knife if needed. Place one cake on a plate/cake stand, and add half of your frosting. Smooth to the edges. Top with your second cake, flat-side up, and frost the top. Use a bench scraper or offset spatula to smooth the sides, filling in the gaps with additional frosting if needed. Top with fresh raspberries and serve! I like serving straight from the fridge because everything firms up a bit which makes cutting easy!
*I used an unsweetened coconut yogurt.
**You could probably use 2 Tbsp. raspberry jam instead!
Keywords: vegan cake, lemon, raspberry, Valentine's Day dessert