Cinnamon Crunch Soft Pretzels
Just like those incredible crunchy-sweet bagels we all know and love…made into a pretzel! So chewy, relatively simple to make, and only requires a handful of ingredients. 100% vegan and a great dessert or snack!
- Prep Time: 2 hours
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 2 hours 20 minutes
- Yield: 8 pretzels
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
1 packet active dry yeast
1 and 1/2 cups warm (~110 degrees F) water
2 Tbsp. granulated sugar*
~4 and 1/4 cups Bob’s Red Mill Organic All-Purpose Flour (affiliate link)
big pinch salt
2 Tbsp. vegan butter, melted
CINNAMON CRUNCH TOPPING:
1/2 cup Bob’s Red Mill Organic All-Purpose Flour (affiliate link)
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon
4 Tbsp. cold vegan butter
unsweetened plant milk, for brushing
BAKING SODA BATH:
4 cups water
1/3 cup baking soda
1 cup organic powdered sugar
2-3 Tbsp. unsweetened plant milk
splash vanilla extract
- DOUGH: Add your yeast, warm water, and sugar to the bowl of your stand mixer. Give it a quick mix with a wooden spoon, and allow it to sit for 5-10 minutes to bloom. You’ll know it’s ready when it’s foamy and smelling like bread!
- Add your flour, salt, and vegan butter, and mix with the hook attachment. Start on low speed, then increase to medium, and mix for 5 minutes. The dough should pull away from the sides and be in one homogenous ball.
- Take a large bowl and oil it with olive oil or your favorite neutral oil. Place the dough in that bowl, cover with a damp towel, and allow to rest for 1 hour.
- TOPPING: Meanwhile, make your topping. Combine all of your ingredients in a small bowl, pinching the butter between your fingers so that it breaks down and is coated in the flour-sugar mixture. You want the butter balls a bit smaller than peas – it’ll stick better to the pretzels. Place in the fridge until needed.
- After that hour, remove your dough from the bowl onto a lightly floured work surface. Divide into 8 pieces, stretch each piece to ~26 inches long, and then fold it into a pretzel – make a U, twist the ends twice, then fold the ends on top of the curved part of the U (see post for pictures).
- BATH: Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Bring your water and baking soda up to a boil in a medium pot. Once boiling, carefully boil each pretzel one-by-one for 30 seconds (I flipped mine at the 15-second mark). Place on your baking sheet.
- ASSEMBLE AND BAKE: Preheat your oven to 450 degrees F. Working with one pretzel at a time, brush it with your plant milk all over the tops and sides. Generously cover with your topping mixture, pressing down slightly so that it sticks.** Cover the tops and sides.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until golden and cooked through. Allow to cool on a cooling rack, then serve immediately (with the glaze, which you can whisk up together to serve!).
*I used raw cane sugar, but regular ol’ granulated sugar works too
**Make sure that you’ve cleaned up most of the topping that fell on your parchment – it’ll burn in the oven because we’re baking at such a high temp!
Pretzel recipe slightly adapted from Alton Brown.
Keywords: soft pretzel recipe, cinnamon crunch, vegan soft pretzels