One-Pot Vegan Enchilada Casserole
A tasty, filling one-pot vegan meal! It’s filled with all the delicious flavors of an enchilada, and you’ll love how simple it is to make!
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 6-8 servings
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: Mexican
2 Tbsp. olive oil
1/2 large red onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
3 large bell peppers (I used orange, yellow, and red), diced
salt + pepper
2 and 1/2 cups cooked rice (I used brown jasmine)
4 cups cooked black beans
1/2 cup plain hummus
4-5 cups enchilada sauce (store-bought or homemade)*
9-10 corn tortillas
crushed tortilla chips, diced tomato, diced avocado, chopped cilantro, sliced red onion, salsa, hot sauce, (vegan) sour cream, pickled jalapeno, lime juice, hot sauce
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- Heat a large cast iron dutch oven (may I recommend a Le Creuset?!) over medium heat on the stove. Add oil, red onion, and garlic, and sauté until the onions are starting to get translucent, 3-5 minutes. Add your bell peppers, and sauté until tender, another 5-7 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add rice and black beans, and mix to combine and heat through. Remove from heat and add the hummus. Mix to combine. Taste and adjust seasonings as necessary.
- Pour your filling into a separate large bowl. Carefully wipe out your dutch oven.
- Pour 1/3 of your enchilada sauce on the bottom to cover. Layer with corn tortillas, tearing them and piecing them together as necessary (I used 3 per layer), then add 1/2 of your filling. Top with another layer of tortillas, enchilada sauce, and filling. Then add one more layer of tortillas and top the entire thing with enchilada sauce.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until hot and bubbly, covering the top after 20 minutes if it’s getting too dark.
- Add crush tortilla chips, fresh tomato, avocado, and cilantro on top. Serve with your favorite enchilada or taco toppings and dive in!
*Make sure you like the flavor of your enchilada sauce. If it’s store-bought, it might need a pinch of salt, spice, or other seasonings, so just taste it before you assemble!
Keywords: casserole, vegan casserole, enchilada, one pot meal