Braided Rosemary Parmesan Breadsticks
Soft, fluffy homemade breadsticks with a beautiful braided design! Flavored with fresh rosemary, vegan parmesan, and olive oil.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 12 minutes
- Total Time: 42 minutes
- Yield: 8 breadsticks*
- Category: Bread
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
1 and 1/4 cup warm water (~105-110 degrees F)
1/4 cup olive oil
1 Tbsp. instant yeast
1 Tbsp. sugar
3 Tbsp. minced fresh rosemary
4 cups Bob’s Red Mill Organic All-Purpose Flour (affiliate link), divided
1 tsp. salt
3 Tbsp. olive oil
1/2 tsp. granulated garlic
1 Tbsp. minced fresh rosemary
1/4 cup+ Vegan Parmesan
olive oil, granulated garlic, Italian seasoning, salt, pepper
- Add water, olive oil, yeast, sugar, and rosemary to the bowl of your stand mixer with the dough hook attachment. Mix quickly to combine. Add 2 cups flour, and mix to combine.
- In a separate bowl, mix your remaining 2 cups flour and salt. With the motor of your stand mixer running on low, slowly add the flour-salt mixture. Add an extra Tbsp. or two of water if needed to help the dough come together. The dough should be slightly sticky but in one ball.
- Place your dough in a bowl covered with a damp towel and allow it to rest for 30 minutes.
- Remove your dough and place it on a lightly floured surface. Roll it out into a 13″ x 13″ square, and then cut 13 1-inch strips in one direction. Then cut right down the middle the other way so that you have 26 pieces.
- Take three pieces, stretch them slightly and braid them together, pinching the ends together. I find that it’s easiest to braid them starting from the middle, and then braid up and down from that point. Stretch the completed breadstick so that it’s about 10″ in length, and place on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Cover with parchment Complete with your other pieces, placing the breadsticks right up against one another on the baking sheet. Allow the breadsticks to rest, covered, for 30 minutes.
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees F. Make the topping by combining your olive oil, granulated garlic, salt, and rosemary in a small bowl.
- Brush your breadsticks with the olive oil mixture, and then bake for 11-13 minutes, rotating the pan half way through. When the breadsticks are 2-3 minutes from being done, carefully sprinkle with your parmesan.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly before diving in! Serve with dipping oil, and enjoy!
*If you want more breadsticks than just the 8, feel free to twist two strands of dough together instead of braiding three. You’ll end up with 13 that way. Or just bake them in little sticks. Less exciting, but just as tasty, and you’ll end up with 26! Math!
Adapted from Life in the Lofthouse.
Keywords: breadsticks, baking, thanksgiving, bread