Chocolate Beer Cookies
Perfect, outrageous cookies spiked with stout and made vegan! They’re super chewy, rich, and chocolatey!
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 13 minutes
- Total Time: 33 minutes
- Yield: 19-20 cookies
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
~1/2 cup your favorite stout, divided
1 Tbsp. Bob’s Red Mill Chia Seeds
1/2 cup vegan butter, softened to room temperature
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup cane sugar
splash vanilla extract
1 cup Bob’s Red Mill Organic All-Purpose Flour (affiliate link)
2/3 cup cocoa powder
1 and 1/4 tsp. baking soda
9 oz. (~1 and 1/2 cups) vegan dark chocolate chips
- THE NIGHT BEFORE: Take 1/2 cup of your favorite stout and pour it into an air-tight container. Place in the fridge overnight so that it gets flat.
- COOKIE DAY: Slightly crush your chia seeds in a mortar and pestle (or under a heavy pan). Add them to a small bowl and add 3 Tbsp. of your flat stout. Mix to combine and set aside. This is your beer chia egg!
- Add your softened butter to the bowl of a stand mixer with the paddle attachment (you can also use a big glass bowl and a hand mixer!), and beat on medium for 30 seconds. Add your brown sugar and cane sugar, and mix on medium until fluffy, scraping down the sides as necessary.
- Add your beer chia egg and vanilla, and mix on medium to combine, scraping down the sides.
- Sift your flour and cocoa into a separate medium bowl, then add your baking soda and salt. Whisk to combine, then, with the stand mixer on low, add your dry ingredients and 2 additional Tbsp. flat stout and mix until well-combined.
- Add your chocolate chips and mix until combined.
- Cover and allow the dough to rest in the fridge for 2 hours.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Measure 2 Tbsp.-sized balls and place them on your prepared baking sheets. I like to make them a little taller so that they don’t spread too much.
- Bake for 10-13 minutes, or until the edges just start to look crisp. They’ll be soft, and that’s good! Let them rest on the baking sheet for 10 minutes, then transfer them to a cooling rack to cool completely.
Keywords: cookies, vegan cookies, chocolate cookies, beer cookies