Easy Vegan BLT
A super easy vegan spin on the classic summer sandwich: the BLT! It comes together in just minutes, and you’ll have extra vegan bacon for more vegan BLTs all week long!
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 1 sandwich
- Category: Sandwich
- Method: Pan Fry
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Vegan
VEGAN COCONUT BACON:
- 3 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons neutral oil (like grapeseed)
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 and 1/2 cups unsweetened coconut chips
FOR EACH SANDWICH:
- 1/2 tablespoon neutral oil
- 1/2 tablespoon vegan butter (or more oil)
- 2 slices of bread (I used sourdough)
- vegan mayo
- iceberg lettuce, shredded or separated into leaves
- sliced tomato, salt and peppered
- COCONUT BACON: In a medium bowl, combine your soy sauce, oil, maple syrup, tomato paste, and smoked paprika. Whisk to combine.
- Add your coconut chips and toss to coat completely. Allow to marinade for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, line a large plate or cookie pan with paper towels.
- Heat a large pan over medium-low heat. Working in two batches, scoop out some of the coconut bacon and add it to your pan, leaving any additional liquid in the bowl to discard.
- Cook your bacon, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, until golden. If certain pieces start to get darker than others, you can use tongs to remove them and place them on your paper towel-lined plate. Try to keep the pieces of coconut separated as they cook. They’ll crisp further as they cool.
- Repeat with your second batch of coconut bacon, leaving any excess liquid in the bottom of the bowl to discard.
- In a separate large pan, heat your oil and vegan butter over medium heat. When melted and your pan is hot, add your bread, and toast until deeply golden, about 3 minutes. Remove and allow to cool on a cooling rack.
- ASSEMBLE: Liberally spread both of the non-toasted sides of your bread with vegan mayo. Add your lettuce, tomato, and a large handful (or two!) of your coconut bacon. Top with your other mayo-spread piece of bread and enjoy!
Keywords: vegan sandwich, uses for coconut bacon, vegan bacon ideas