YEP. We’re taking an already perfect treat and making it even better with fruit!
I just can’t get over how much I love those bright red streaks of strawberry goodness!
Okay, so I made these a day before I left for my family vacation to the beach. I took two bags full of them, and they were a hit!
Not only did they make a fabulous car snack (you need lots and lots of crispy goodness for an 8+ hour car ride!), but they were a favorite snack amongst the mountainous pile of chips, popcorn, and other treats we all brought to get us through the week.
They’re obviously crispy and sweet, but the strawberry flavor brings a lil something extra and fancy to the party, and I know you’ll love them too!
If you know how to make a crispy rice treat, then you’re 99% of the way to Strawberries and Cream Crispy Rice Treat bliss.
Simply melt your vegan butter, and add in your marshmallows. Quick note that a lot of marshmallows actually aren’t vegan, as they contain gelatin! So be sure to find some that are vegan if that’s important to ya. The marshmallows at Trader Joe’s are vegan, and that’s what I used here.
Once melted, add a splash of vanilla extract, and then pour in your crispy rice cereal and pulverized freeze-dried strawberries.
We’ve used freeze-dried fruit here on the blog before (in cookies! so good), and I love using them for their intense flavor and the way they can elevate a recipe without adding any extra liquid. All you need to do with them for this recipe is blitz them in a food processor until a fine powder forms. Easy peasy.
Then just mix well and dump your mixture into a 9×13 baking dish lined with parchment paper. Once they cool, they’re ready for devouring!
There is something just so happy about this twist on the childhood fave!
Three cheers for this fruity, crispy sweet treat!Print
Strawberries and Cream Crispy Rice Treats
A sweet and fruity twist on the classic childhood crispy rice treat! Freeze-dried strawberries make this snack or dessert extra special. And, of course… they’re vegan!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 24 squares
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Mix
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Vegan
- .5 ounces freeze-dried strawberries (half a pack from Trader Joe’s if you have one around you!)
- 6 tablespoons vegan butter
- 16 ounces vegan marshmallows*
- Pinch salt
- Splash vanilla extract
- 6 cups crispy rice cereal
- Line a 13×9-inch baking pan with parchment paper, allowing for some overhang to more easily remove the treats once they’re set.
- Add your freeze-dried strawberries to a food processor and blitz until a fine powder forms. Wait a minute before removing the lid so the dust doesn’t go everywhere! Set aside.
- In a large pot over medium-low heat, melt your vegan butter. Once nearly melted, add your vegan marshmallows and mix until melted. Remove from the heat.
- Add salt and vanilla, and mix until combined.
- Add the crispy rice cereal and the freeze-dried strawberry dust, and mix until combined.
- Immediately dump the mixture into your prepared baking pan and allow to set until cool, 20-30 minutes.
- Cut into pieces and enjoy!
*If you’re using full-sized marshmallows, try cutting them into smaller chunks so they melt faster!
Adapted from Shugary Sweets!
Keywords: vegan rice crispy treats, strawberry rice crispy treats, freeze dried strawberry recipes
Join the Fooduzzi Fam!
I'll send you healthy takes on classic recipes, delectable recipe roundups, and more updates on my growing blog. You'll also receive a series where I share my top dinner, dessert, and snack recipes with you –– for free!