One of the things I love most about being home with my family on the weekends is our Saturday brunch. My dad always makes his #peduzzifamous huevos rancheros; they’re packed with a few different types of salsa, eggs, fresh vegetables, a little chorizo, and a touch of cheese. Needless to say, they’re über impressive.
I’m more of a breakfast purist, so I usually make a bowl of my Banana Bread Oatmeal. There’s something so satisfying about a warm bowl of oaty goodness, especially this time of year when it has been pretty arctic tundra-esque right outside my door. If I’m being completely honest with you, I crave oatmeal year-round. There’s something that just screams, “Let’s wake up and kick some butt today” like my oatmeal.
That being said, I get into food funks all the time; I find a recipe I love and stick with it for months until I can’t take it any longer. While I do love the creaminess of my Banana Bread Oats, I figured it was time for a new chief in town. And all I have to say is all hail the Coffee Cake Baked Oatmeal chief. Guys, this stuff is amazing.
Chewy, cinnamony, crumble topping-y…my vegan and gluten free Coffee Cake Baked Oatmeal has it all! And with just a handful of ingredients, you (yes, you) can be enjoying these oats right along with me in less than 30 minutes. I think I’ve found your new breakfast go-to!
Rolled oats are one of my favorite whole grains; their protein and fiber keep me satisfied for hours. Today, these awesome oats are pulling a double-duty: they’re the base of this meal, and they’re also in the super-amazing crumble (but more on that later). Add a touch of cinnamon, a kiss of maple syrup, a pinch of salt, an (optional) smidgen of baking soda, and some creamy dreamy almond milk, and we end up with a slightly sweet, moderately spiced the base for this totes wonderful breakfast treat!
Now: the super-amazing crumble. We’re zipping some of our rolled oats in a food processor to create a powdery flour. Add some melted (and healthy fat-packed) coconut butter, cinnamon, and maple syrup, this.crumble.is.addictive. I have HUGE plans for this stuff once I get my hands on some summer produce…
I am telling you, the smells that permeate through your kitchen while this Coffee Cake Baked Oatmeal is baking can only be outshone by the delicious flavor it will bring to your morning mealtime. I am totally hooked on the chewiness of this oatmeal that contrasts with that wonderful crumble. Alas, a vegan, gluten free, and whole food breakfast that acts like a cake? I’ll take it. I’ll take it every stinkin’ day.
Coffee Cake Baked Oatmeal
|Prep:||Cook:||Yield: serves 2 people||Total:|
Chewy, cinnamony, crumble topping-y...this vegan and gluten free Coffee Cake Baked Oatmeal has it all!
- 1 cup + 1 Tbsp. rolled oats, divided
- 1/2-1 tsp. + 1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon, divided
- 1/2 Tbsp. + 1 tsp. maple syrup, divided
- pinch salt
- pinch baking powder (optional, for extra fluffiness)
- 1 cup milk
- 1 Tbsp. coconut butter (I would assume regular butter would work, too)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Add 2/3 cup rolled oats, 1/2-1 tsp. cinnamon, 1/2 Tbsp. maple syrup, salt, baking powder, and milk to a small bowl. Mix until combined. Pour into 2 14-oz baking ramekins and bake for 10 minutes.
- While the base is baking, create the crumble. Add remaining 1/3 cup oats into a small food processor and blend until a moderately fine flour forms (a few oaty bits are OK). Remove one Tbsp. of the flour and add an additional Tbsp. of whole rolled oats for a contrasting texture. Pour into a small bowl.
- Melt coconut butter, and add it to the oat flour. Add 1 tsp. maple syrup, and mix with a fork until crumbles form.
- After 10 minutes, carefully remove ramekins from the oven and sprinkle the crumble on top. Return to the oven for an additional 5-10 minutes, or until the oatmeal is baked to your liking. Serve hot, and top with additional maple syrup if desired.
Stay classy, Internet friends!
Join the Fooduzzi Fam!
I'll send you healthy takes on classic recipes, delectable recipe roundups, and more updates on my growing blog. You'll also receive a free eCookbook featuring my best recipes!