If you follow me on Snapchat, the excessive amount of kitten pictures I’ve been snapping probably ruined the surprise, but….
We got a kitten! Allow me to introduce you to Maya!
This beautiful little girl is only two months old (swoon), and we already love her to pieces. We had been casually looking for kittens for a while, but we hadn’t really found one that tugged at our heartstrings until we met Maya. We found her a rescue shelter in Pittsburgh, and it pretty much was love at first sight. Like, how could we not get her when this was how we were introduced?
Needless to say, we’re obsessed with her. I’ve quickly turned into a cat mom; my phone has been overtaken by this fuzzy little face.
I’ve never owned a kitten before, so I wasn’t quite expecting the huge bolt of energy this 2-lb. furry friend brought to our apartment. While it’s been a little bit of an adjustment, I’ve grown to adore her spunkiness and her laziness:
We’ve had her for a week now, and I have a couple initial observation about life with this kitten:
- She steps on the computer keyboard whenever she gets the chance. Somehow, Maya manages to turn the brightness all the way down every.single.time.
- She endlessly plays with every single cord in the house. This has been the toughest part of the first week with her. Mark and I are both total techies, so we have cords laying everywhere. We don’t want her chewing through them for a number of reasons, but her safety is our #1 concern. Anyone have any suggestions on how to combat this behavior?
- She gets CRAZY eyes at night and starts running from room to room, jumping on and biting everything. She “attacks” things that aren’t even there. We call her “Glitch” because she totally glitches out once the clock strikes 9:00 or so. It’s incredible such a tiny body can have so much energy.
- She’s incredibly friendly. When I was younger, I owned a cat who was ridiculously lazy and standoffish to pretty much anyone but me. This little one will play with anyone and everyone. She never runs out of steam. She’ll do backflips as she’s playing with her toys, but she’ll happily lay on your lap and totally zonk out if it’s the right time of day (totally happening as I type this, by the way).
- She runs to greet us after we’ve been gone. No matter what room she’s in, she’ll run to the door as soon as she hears us come in. It’s pretty much the cutest thing I’ve ever seen.
- She refuses to eat treats. Between my parents and I, we have bought Maya three different types of treats. She scoops them out of her food bowl and bats them around the apartment. She simply refuses to eat them. Crazy cat.
- She loves being in the kitchen with us. And she loves hopping in the fridge. It’s very weird, but so dang adorable. While I’m cooking, she’ll sit at my feet and just stare up at me with these big yellow eyes. Be still, my heart.
This little bugger has made us so incredibly happy, so thank you for allowing me to gush about her today. I promise we’ll be back to your regularly-scheduled fall recipes on Thursday, but for now, let me leave you with a few more photos of our precious little girl:
Join the Fooduzzi Fam!
I'll send you healthy takes on classic recipes, delectable recipe roundups, and more updates on my growing blog. You'll also receive a free eCookbook featuring my best recipes!