I knew within the first few times that I spoke to Mark that he was going to be special to me.
It was a special feeling in my gut that said, “Wow, this guy…”
It was the fact that we could talk for hours about everything and anything.
But most importantly, it was the fact that he loved popcorn just as much as I did.
Mark and I go through a bag of popcorn like it’s our JOB. There’s always a stray piece (or two) scattered around the floor or lodged in our couch cushions after an episode Game of Thrones. It’s unlikely that a day passes by without our hands in a bag of the stuff.
Our “popcorn time” is some of my favorite time spent with my guy. There’s just something so us about being cuddled under a blanket on the couch, watching something on Netflix or working on our projects, and sharing a giant bowl of salty popcorn goodness.
This is why it was only fitting that my final Valentine’s Day dessert comes to you with our favorite snack perched right on top!
Say it with me, friends: Chocolate Caramel Popcorn Chews. A bit unconventional? Perhaps. Crazy addictive and perfect for you and your Valentine? Of course!
I was SO excited to receive two full cases of popcorn lovin’ from our favorite popcorn brand, SkinnyPop! Their Original flavor is by-far the best-tasting packaged popcorn on the market, as far as I’m concerned. It’s made from a mere three whole food ingredients: popcorn, oil, and salt. AND their popcorn is non-GMO, which is always a good thing.
Needless to say, Mark and I went through these cases at an alarming rate – seriously, my grandmother laughed at me once she heard that we were done with it already – , but I managed to stash a couple bags for recipe testing. And thus, these bad boys were born!
Chocolate Caramel Popcorn Chews, guys…they’re really something else. They have that whole salty-sweet thing goin’ on that just makes me go completely weak at the knees. And while the two-ingredient sweet date “caramel” is ooey-gooey, the salty popcorn gives them a perfect addictive crunch!
And they really couldn’t be easier! Mash, mix, and you’re pretty much done – 5-minute caramel popcorn candies ftw ?
And thus ends the delicious two weeks of cookie and dessert galore. I promise we have some healthy, easy, and quick meal and snack recipes coming your way in the upcoming weeks – you’re gonna love ’em! ?
Happy Valentine’s Day, everyone! I hope you find something sweet to share with your loved ones this weekend!Print
Chocolate Caramel Popcorn Chews
- Yield: 6-8 chews 1x
- 1/2 cup pitted medjool dates (6-7)*
- 1 Tbsp. nut butter**
- 1 Tbsp. coconut oil, melted
- 1 and 1/2 Tbsp. cocoa powder
- 1/2 Tbsp. pure maple syrup
- 1/2 cup SkinnyPop Original Popcorn, slightly crushed
- Mash dates with a fork in a small bowl until a paste forms (alternatively, you can use a mini food processor).
- Add nut butter, and mix to combine well.
- Form rectangles (you’ll want them thin and long) with your date-nut butter mixture, and set them on a parchment paper-lined plate. Put them in the fridge to chill, about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make your chocolate sauce. Mix melted coconut oil, cocoa powder, and maple syrup in a small bowl until combined.
- After your date rectangles have chilled, remove from the fridge. Spoon some of the chocolate mixture over the top, then immediately stick a few pieces of popcorn on top. Drizzle the remaining chocolate over the popcorn if desired, then place in the fridge to set, about 10 minutes.
- Enjoy immediately, as popcorn that’s left in the fridge loses some of its crunch.
*Your dates should be super-duper soft. If they’re on the drier side, soak them in warm water for a couple minutes, drain REALLY well, and then proceed with the recipe.
**You can use your favorite nut butter, but I’ve found that cashew butter really helps give these chews that caramel “buttery factor” we all know and love.
And if these Chocolate Caramel Popcorn Chews don’t tickle your fancy, here are a few of my other favorite healthier chocolate recipes for your most delicious Valentine’s Day yet!
A very special thank you goes to SkinnyPop for supplying me with some of their popcorn that I love for this recipe! All opinions are my own.
Affiliate links were used in this blog post. “Affiliate” is just a fancy way of saying that I get some money if you click on and purchase the products that are linked! The money I earn will go directly back into Fooduzzi, so I’d really appreciate you helping me “feed” my blogging efforts!!
Join the Fooduzzi Fam!
I'll send you healthy takes on classic recipes, delectable recipe roundups, and more updates on my growing blog. You'll also receive a series where I share my top dinner, dessert, and snack recipes with you –– for free!