This post is sponsored by my awesome friends over at Love Beets – we’re using their Organic Beet Juice for this Vegan “Red Velvet” Hot Chocolate!
HOT CHOCOLATE. How is it possible that this is the very first hot chocolate recipe I’ve ever posted on Fooduzzi?!
As a kid, I LOVED hot chocolate. A big mug of it after coming home from school, playing outside in the snow, or really doing anything was something I always looked forward to this time of year.
Mountain of whipped cream not optional.
There’s something just so comforting about drinking chocolate. Especially when it’s bitterly cold and windy outside. And while I was partial to the packets of cocoa mix as a kid, absolutely nothing beats (or should I say beets) making it from scratch.
Now, you can tell it’s not very red in color. But it is red in ingredients. Oooohhh. Intrigue.
That’s because we’re using…beet juice in this hot chocolate!! And not just any beet juice; we’re using this Organic Beet Juice from one of my fave companies, Love Beets! Beets are one of those ingredients that I love using in new ways because they’re just so darn good for us. Yes, I love them in salads, but they’re delicious in smoothies and grain bowls and now in hot chocolate!
The beet juice gives this hot chocolate an earthy, rich flavor that I just love. And because beets are naturally sweet, they pair beautifully with our other ingredients.
I love my hot chocolate super duper chocolatey, so I used a full 2 Tbsp. cocoa powder in one single serving of this stuff. Add in some sweetener, vanilla, and almond milk, and you’re well on your way to five-ingredient Vegan Red Velvet Hot Chocolate bliss.
And don’t forget the whipped cream on top! I whipped up a simple coconut whipped cream that worked perfectly on top. It slooowly melted into my hot chocolate and then subsequently into my heart.
That was totally corny. But true!
Vegan "Red Velvet" Hot Chocolate
|Prep:||Cook:||Yield: serves 1||Total:|
A rich and creamy vegan hot chocolate with an antioxidant-rich secret red ingredient! Naturally refined sugar-free and gluten free!
- For the hot chocolate:
- 1/4 cup Love Beets Organic Beet Juice
- 1 and 1/2 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 2+ Tbsp. maple syrup or honey
- 2 Tbsp. cocoa powder
- splash vanilla extract
- For the whipped cream:
- 1 can full-fat coconut milk or coconut cream*, placed in the fridge overnight
- 2 tsp. maple syrup
- splash vanilla extract
- shaved chocolate for topping, optional
- Heat beet juice either in the microwave or in a small pot on the stove. Set aside.
- Add almond milk, maple syrup, and cocoa to a medium pot over medium heat. Whisk frequently, bring to a low boil, and then add your beet juice. Whisk to combine and allow to come up to a boil. Remove from heat and set aside.
- For the whipped cream: Open your chilled can of coconut milk and pour out the liquid (you can discard this or save it for smoothies or drinking). Scoop the solid part out into the bowl of your stand mixer and whip until creamy. Add maple syrup and vanilla and continue to whip until combined.
- Pour hot chocolate into a glass. Top with whipped cream and shaved chocolate.
*Use coconut cream for best results
A very special thank you goes to Love Beets for sponsoring this post and for supplying me with some of their delicious products that I love for this recipe! All opinions are my own.
Join the Fooduzzi Fam!
I'll send you healthy takes on classic recipes, delectable recipe roundups, and more updates on my growing blog. You'll also receive a free eCookbook featuring my best recipes!