Oh hi, first ever sandwich recipe of the blog!
Happy to see your delicious self here!
(Do you talk to your food too? It’s not weird, right? …right?)
Hello and happy spring! How was your weekend? I did stuff and it was fun. I spent a lot of my day Saturday grocery shopping. And I seriously loved every second. I just love moseying along in grocery stores, checking out all of the cool and fun stuff they have to offer.
FOR INSTANCE. Did you know mango kombucha is a thing? Seriously a life-changing moment, friends. It tastes like orange juice, and I’m kind of obsessed. As I said on my Instagram Story, that booch is boochin’.
Also a fun find! Coffee flour at Trader Joe’s. Whaaat in the world will they think of next? I didn’t actually buy it, but I’m seriously intrigued. Kinda want to bake some cookies with it.
I also found a whole jackfruit at Whole Foods. It was GIGANTIC. Like, probably the size of my entire torso. Woah.
There are SO many interesting things at the store these days. No clue what that had to do with these Chickpea Salad Sandwiches, but it was on my mind.
So, this isn’t only the first sandwich on Fooduzzi, this is the first sandwich that has entered my mouthhole in, oh, I don’t know, 2.5ish years. I wish I was joking.
Honestly, I was a huge sandwich kid. Loved sandwiches everywhere I went. But once I got older, I kind of realized that sandwiches didn’t fill me up the way something like smoothie bowls with granola, stir fries, and giant-@$$ salads do.
So sandwiches kinda took a backseat in the grand scheme of my life, and I never really looked back. Until today. Because dang girl are these Chickpea Salad Sandwiches good!
And they really couldn’t be easier. <– Mark always points out that I say that about pretty much everything I cook, but it’s especially true about these sandwiches. Because there’s no actual cooking involved! It’s just mixing. Everyone can handle mixing.
Think of this recipe as your meatless alternative to something like tuna or chicken salad. You’ll pulse some chickpeas up in a food processor (or blender – I don’t discriminate), then mix it with some hummus. Add other flavorful ingredients like lemon juice, mustard, onion, and parsley, and you’re pretty much done!
Simple recipes are the best kind of recipes, no?
I topped my sandwich with sliced tomato, sliced avocado, and spinach, but I reckon that adding a touch of hot sauce would be just delightful on top.
And feel free to add your fave veggies on top. Rock out that cucumber. Go wild with sprouts. Have your way with roasted red peppers. The world is your
oyster Chickpea Salad Sandwich.
Chickpea Salad Sandwiches
|Prep:||Yield: serves 4-5 people||Total:|
The easiest vegan and gluten free sandwich ever! Your meatless alternative to chicken or tuna salad.
- 1 15 oz can chickpeas
- 1/3 cup plain hummus
- 3 tablespoons minced red onion
- 2 Tbsp. minced flat-leaf parsley
- 1 Tbsp. whole-grain mustard
- 2-3 tsp. lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp. granulated garlic
- salt + pepper
- For the sandwich toppings:
- bread (gluten free if necessary), sliced tomato, sliced avocado, spinach, hot sauce
- Pulse your chickpeas in a food processor or blender until flaky - it should almost resemble tuna salad! Add to a medium bowl.
- Add hummus, minced onion, parsley, mustard, lemon juice, and granulated garlic, and mix well to combine, making sure not to mash the chickpeas too much. Taste and season with salt and pepper (I added a good pinch of pepper and just a tiny pinch of salt).
- Scoop chickpea salad onto one of your pieces of bread. Add tomato, avocado*, spinach, and/or hot sauce, and top with another slice of bread. Cut diagonally (or down the center if that's your style), and enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Food Network.
*I like seasoning my tomato and avocado before adding it to the sandwich. Just a small pinch of salt and pepper will do!
Join the Fooduzzi Fam!
I'll send you healthy takes on classic recipes, delectable recipe roundups, and more updates on my growing blog. You'll also receive a series where I share my top dinner, dessert, and snack recipes with you –– for free!