Woah woah woah.
Let me tell you about this amazing little number we’re calling “Vegan Cashew Ricotta.”
This stuff. Is. Life-changing. And that’s coming from a self-proclaimed ricotta hater.
I’m Italian, and I hate ricotta. Pretty sure there has to be a law against that, but it’s true. Growing up, I even hated lasagna because of the stuff.
And because I think baked pasta is funky. But that’s a different post.
Back to ricotta. So much bleh.
I steered clear of ricotta for Y E A R S until I went to a restaurant near us that put it on pizza. I begrudgingly took a bite and…
I loved it. So much love was had, you guys!
But once I started to cut dairy out of my life, I started to miss my new friend ricotta.
Until today! Today we’re doing all the ricotta things, and we’re doing it 100% vegan.
So, I’ve made this “ricotta” three times since I originally tested it, and I’m pretty sure I love it more and more each time I make it.
It’s straight-up freaky how much this cashew-based cheese tastes like its dairy counterpart. And don’t just take my word for it. Both my mom and Mark have asked (on more than one occasion) me to make this for them again…within the same week. It’s THAT good.
And and and! It only requires 4 ingredients: cashews, lemon juice, granulated garlic, and almond milk. Plus salt and pepper, but they don’t count. OH, and total bonus points if you chop up some basil and stir it in. So good.
The texture is totally up to you. I prefer this ricotta to be on the drier side, so I only use the least amount of almond milk possible. It’s super thick and almost whipped that way. You could also use a bit more almond milk so that it’s a little more creamy and “wet.” But that’s all up to you!
I hope you guys love this recipe as much as we do! If you’re wondering what you could use it for, don’t you worry. I have two different recipes coming within the next few weeks that use this cashew ricotta – I know you’re going to love them!
Easy Vegan Cashew Ricotta
|Prep:||Yield: ~1 cup||Total:|
The best homemade vegan ricotta! Naturally gluten free and only requires 4 ingredients!
- 1 cup raw, chopped cashews, soaked overnight**
- 2 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp. granulated garlic
- salt + pepper*
- 1-3 Tbsp. unsweetened almond milk (more to desired consistency)
- 4-6 basil leaves, roughly chopped (optional)
- Rinse and drain your cashews, then pour them into a high-speed blender. Add lemon juice, granulated garlic, and a nice pinch of salt and pepper. Blend until the cashews are broken down.
- Add almond milk, 1 Tbsp. at a time, and continue blending until the mixture is smooth and to your desired consistency. Stop the motor and scrape down the blender whenever necessary. Taste and adjust seasoning if desired.
- Finish with your chopped basil leaves, fresh cracked pepper, and/or a drizzle of olive oil.
*Salt is super important here because normal cheese is rather salty. Be sure you're adding enough!
**If you forgot to soak your cashews overnight (#beenthere), soak your cashews in some boiling water for an hour or two. Then drain, rinse, and proceed with the recipe.
Join the Fooduzzi Fam!
I'll send you healthy takes on classic recipes, delectable recipe roundups, and more updates on my growing blog. You'll also receive a free eCookbook featuring my best recipes!