So! The weekend is over. How did that happen?
All in favor of perpetual three-day weekends in the summer, say “Aye!”
But seriously, I’m actually super excited to jump into this week. For work, we have a super exciting event tomorrow (fellow bloggers, you should check it out!). And then tomorrow night I’ll be heading to trivia night with some friends.
I’m sure the rest of the week will be pretty fun too. Especially because I can almost guarantee this little number will be making an appearance on the dinner table.
Hay, salsa verde, hayyyy.
Fun fact: We typically call salsa verde “green salsa verde” in my family. My mom called it that one time, and I totally lost it because verde = green. It’s redundancy at its best. I love mom-isms.
Salsa verde is so good. While red salsa is made with tomatoes, salsa verde is typically made with tomatillos.
That being said, I never really know where to look for tomatillos in order to make salsa verde from scratch. And if I can’t easily find them, I don’t want to make you scour the grocery stores in your area in order to find them either.
SO we’re using other green ingredients here today. And lots of ’em:
- Cucumber: One of my favorite veggies. So crisp and fresh and yum.
- Avocado: Duh.
- Lime: For that bright citrusy flava.
- Mint: Brings a little sweetness to the party.
- Cilantro: Must-have in any salsa.
- Green onion: My favorite of the onion fam.
So once we mix all of that together, and add in a few non-green ingredients (salt, pepper, granulated garlic, and a weeeee bit of honey or agave), we’re done! And ready to bring all the tacos, chips, and / or other Mexican food delights to the yard.
This salsa is bonkers. I’m using it as a dip here, but it would be just as good, if not better, on some tacos or fajitas. Oh or nachos. Always nachos.
I hope you try this dreamy green salsa verde!
Avocado Cucumber Salsa Verde
|Prep:||Yield: serves 2-4 people||Total:|
An easy, fresh, and raw salsa verde made without tomatillos! Made with summery ingredients like mint, cilantro, avocado, cucumber, and lime!
- 1/2 english cucumber, diced small
- 1 medium avocado, diced small
- 1 large green onion, diced small
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 small handful mint, minced
- 1 small handful cilantro, minced
- salt + pepper
- 1/2 tsp. granulated garlic
- drizzle honey / agave, if needed
- minced jalapeño, if desired and to taste
- Combine cucumber, avocado, green onion, lime juice, mint, and cilantro in a medium bowl. Mix to combine, taking care to not break up the avocado too much.
- Season with salt + pepper, and granulated garlic, and mix to combine. Taste, and add a small drizzle of honey / agave if needed to sweeten. You can also add some minced fresh or pickled jalapeño if you want to take this salsa to a spicer place. I really liked it being cool and creamy though!
- Serve immediately. The cucumber breaks down a bit thanks to the lime juice. It's not horrible saved for the next day, but it's definitely better fresh.
Recipe adapted from the bosses over at Food52.
Join the Fooduzzi Fam!
I'll send you healthy takes on classic recipes, delectable recipe roundups, and more updates on my growing blog. You'll also receive a free eCookbook featuring my best recipes!