I have one question for you:
Are you ready to QUESOOOOO?!
Oh man. Is there anything better than queso?
Liquid cheese. Oh Mama.
I mean, I guess if you say it like that, it sounds kind of weird and slightly gross.
But somehow, the brilliance of queso has surpassed the grossness and entered into a land of downright deliciousness.
Also: apologizes for it being quiet on my end…pretty much everywhere recently. I went to an awesome conference in Salt Lake City last week, and I’m just now getting my bearings.
Luckily, I feel like I’m slowly getting back into the swing of things (albeit with a ton of coffee).
I have SO many ideas for upcoming recipes, and I can’t wait to get back into the kitchen and make you drool over them.
But today, we’re talking queso.
So this vegan queso recipe is actually just sliiiiightly adapted from my girl Sarah at My New Roots.
I found this recipe of hers a few months ago when I decided to pick some tempeh up from the store for the first time ever. I had no idea what to do with it, nor did I know how to cook it. But once I found her recipe, I was hooked.
This further solidifies my life’s motto: when in doubt, throw it in a taco.
So while the tempeh was delicious, the vegan queso she served on top was THE star.
I’m writing this waiting for my workout class to start, and my mouth just started drooling. Lolz.
It’s really simple, comes together in a blender, and tastes great on nachos, bowls, tacos, and pretty much any other food group ever.
And an important note about this vegan queso: it’s not overly…nutritional yeast-y. Nutritional yeast is great…in small doses. This queso has JUST enough to make it taste cheesy, while leaving room for the other favors (red pepper, garlic, lemon, jalapeño) to shine through.
You may be curious about that red pepper. I don’t really get it either tbh. But it adds just the right amount of sweetness to the queso. Not like queso is sweet. But kind of? I dunno. Just trust me. It totally works.
You, my dear, will love this queso. Mark is super nutritional yeast-akin, but he gobbled this stuff up on the burrito bowls I made the other day.
Bless up for (vegan) liquid cheese.
Warm & Creamy Vegan Queso
|Prep:||Cook:||Yield: 4-6 servings||Total:|
A simple, delicious vegan queso recipe made from ingredients like cashews, red pepper, and garlic! Perfect for nachos, tacos, burritos, bowls, and more!
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked overnight, drained and rinsed
- 1 medium red bell pepper, roughly chopped
- 2 Tbsp. nutritional yeast
- 2-3 tsp. lemon juice
- 1 small clove garlic
- 1/4 tsp. ground turmeric
- 1 Tbsp. arrowroot starch
- pinch salt
- ~1/2 cup water
- 5-10+ pickled jalapeño, roughly chopped
- Add cashews, red bell pepper, nutritional yeast, lemon juice, garlic, turmeric, arrowroot, and salt in a blender. Add a splash of your water, then turn your blender on high, adding water as needed. I like my queso on the thicker side, but you can add as much water as you need to get it to your desired thickness. Blend until totally smooth.
- Pour your queso into a small saucepan, and heat over medium-low heat until warm and thick, stirring continually with a rubber spatula. Whisk if needed to remove lumps. Mix in your chopped jalapeño by hand, adding more or less depending on desired spiciness.
- Serve over tacos, burritos, nachos, bowls, and more!
Slightly adapted from My New Roots
Join the Fooduzzi Fam!
I'll send you healthy takes on classic recipes, delectable recipe roundups, and more updates on my growing blog. You'll also receive a series where I share my top dinner, dessert, and snack recipes with you –– for free!