It’s a mouthful!
Both as the title of the recipe and the experience of eating it.
Also: they rock.
Hi! It’s been a bit quiet over here these past few weeks. Things have just been…busy? Hard? Weird? Draining?
Yes to all of the above.
This recipe is totally worth the wait though. I mean…no one ever said no to a big ol’ stack of pancakes, right?
Er. Not quite. I went through many years of my life saying, “I don’t like pancakes.” In fact, a few months ago, I saw someone describe the texture of pancakes as being like a “bread tongue,” and I was like, “YES!! THIS IS TRUE.”
But we recently got some pancake mix. Yep. Like the add water and a [vegan] egg kind. So we did. And they ROCKED. Of course, we doctored them up with some brown sugar, cinnamon, and blueberries, but man. So good. And totally awakened the pancake lover in me.
So this past weekend, I decided it was time. Time to make them from scratch. And boy howdy was it a good decision.
This is one of those recipes where I very much was like, “OOOH, let’s throw X in here! And maybe a little bit of Y! And definitely some Z!” so I’m think it’s very forgiving based on what you have on-hand.
Regardless, you’ll love them.
First thing to note here, these bad boys are hearty. Oaty, nutty, blueberry-y, and just really a fun textural experience.
No mushy pancakes here. No siree.
We have wholesome oats, peaking through the batter, lending us some of their whole grain goodness.
We have walnuts, chopped into semi-fine chunks, just waiting to surprise you with a delightfully crunchy bite.
And blueberries! Giving us a taste of the good stuff, aka. summer. Bursts of sweet, juicy berry in every bite is something I will require in any pancake that enters my mouth now and forever.
It’s a simple recipe, loaded with some flair, and ready for a delectable downpour of maple syrup.
(A local farm – Paul Family Farms – sent me some maple syrup, and it’s BOURBON BARREL AGED. I mean, way to make a special breakfast even more special, right?)
And you know what? This is the perfect time to go a little above and beyond for breakfast. Things are weird, and if we can make a meal a little more special these days, I say go for it.
Especially when a mountain of pancakes are involved.Print
Vegan Blueberry Walnut Oat Pancakes
These vegan pancakes are HEARTY! They’re filled with blueberries, walnuts, and oats to give you a special breakfast treat.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 2 servings 1x
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Griddle
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Vegan
- 3/4 almond milk
- 1 Tbsp. vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. ground flax
- 2 and 1/2 Tbsp. water
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup rolled oats
- 2 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 1 and 1/4 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 and 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- pinch salt
- 2 Tbsp. vegan butter, melted (oil would probably work too!)
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup frozen blueberries
- Mix your almond milk and vinegar together in a small bowl or measuring cup. This will be your homemade “buttermilk.”
- Whisk together your ground flax and water. This will be your homemade flax egg.
- Add flour, oats, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt in a medium bowl. Whisk to combine. Add your “buttermilk,” your flax egg, and your melted vegan butter, and mix until almost combined. Add your walnuts and blueberries, and mix until smooth (being careful not to over-mix though!).
- Heat a non-stick pan over medium heat. Melt a little vegan butter and add 1/4 cup of batter to the pan. Allow bubbles to form and pop and then flip, taking care not to burn. If the pancakes are too dark, turn the temperature down a bit. Cook on the other side until golden, and then move to a plate so you can continue cooking your pancakes. I got 7 total.
- Serve with vegan butter, extra walnuts, and a big glug of maple syrup!
Keywords: vegan pancakes, hearty pancakes
Join the Fooduzzi Fam!
I'll send you healthy takes on classic recipes, delectable recipe roundups, and more updates on my growing blog. You'll also receive a free eCookbook featuring my best recipes!