Breakfast! The best, most important meal of the day.
Would you agree?
I feel like there are two groups of people in this world: people who love breakfast food and people who don’t.
Put in a different yet still entirely accurate way: people who are right and people who are so very wrong.
I love breakfast food. Which is funny because I eat the same thing for breakfast 99.9% of the time. I talk about it here.
I love it, I look forward to it every morning, and it fills me up until lunch.
That said, sometimes we just need to jazz up our morning routine, right? Or lunch. Or dinner! I’m not one to shy away from breakfast foods at any time of the day.
And with a recipe that’s as quick and simple as this tofu scramble, I say “heck yes” to jazzing it up.
Tbh, I was delightfully surprised with how quickly this came together. It was quick, simple, and really tasty (especially when it’s a part of next week’s recipe — stay tuned!).
You take some onion and bell pepper, and sauté. Crumble in your tofu, season it up, and that’s pretty much it. Really simple, super satisfying and filling, and just really simple.
Back when I ate scrambled eggs for breakfast (which, if you didn’t realize it, is what this recipe is supposed to mimic), I liked them firm. I didn’t like any milky, wet parts in my scrambled eggs. No sir-ee.
That’s why I used extra-firm tofu here. I think it works great. That said, I’ve seen tofu scramble recipes across the interwebz that use medium-firm or even silken tofu. You do you. I just prefer it with extra-firm.
You can eat it on its own, but I very much recommend eating it with hot sauce. Lots of it. And maybe some toasty bread, too.
So simple, so yummy, so filling! Tofu scramble for the win!Print
Quick and Easy Tofu Scramble with Peppers and Onion
An easy vegan tofu scramble that’s full of veggies and takes only minutes to prepare! You’ll love it with toast, on a burrito, or all on its own.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 2-4 servings
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Sauté
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Vegan
- 1 Tbsp. oil
- 1 large green onion, chopped
- 1 medium bell pepper, chopped
- 1 block extra-firm tofu, slightly pressed to remove any dripping water
- 1/4 tsp. ground turmeric
- 1/2 tsp. nutritional yeast
- 1/4 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp. ground cumin
- salt + pepper, to taste
- fresh cilantro, chopped
- hot sauce and/or salsa, to serve
- Add oil to a pan over medium heat. Add green onion and bell pepper, and sauté until the onion is translucent and the bell pepper is slightly soft, 5-7 minutes.
- Add tofu, crumbling as you add it to the pan. Stir to combine and to heat the tofu through.
- Add turmeric, nutritional yeast, smoked paprika, cumin, salt, and pepper, and stir to combine. Continue cooking until everything is hot and the veggies are done to your liking (I like them on the crisper-side).
- Remove from the heat, and add cilantro. Taste, and adjust seasonings as necessary. Serve with crusty toast, hot sauce, and/or salsa!
Keywords: tofu scramble, breakfast tofu
Join the Fooduzzi Fam!
I'll send you healthy takes on classic recipes, delectable recipe roundups, and more updates on my growing blog. You'll also receive a series where I share my top dinner, dessert, and snack recipes with you –– for free!