These cookies include TWO ingredients I thought I didn’t like very much in cookies: fruit and nuts.
Of course, it needs to be a really bad cookie for me to completely turn my nose up at it. But I just don’t typically gravitate towards cookies with fruits or nuts in them.
I’m very much a fan of these. With their caramely, chewy dates and crispity-crunchity green gem-like pistachio pieces, these cookies have shed a new light onto fruit and nut-filled cookies.
At least they have for me. 😉
I love many things about these cookies:
- They’re not too sweet (only 1/2 cup of added brown sugar in the whole dang batch!).
- They’re crunchy (from the pistachios obv).
- The middles are ooey gooey (thanks to slightly underbaking but also because of the way we roll our dough balls taller than they are wide –– see photo above).
- They’re chewy (because all cookies should be chewy. Yep. I said it.).
- They’re quick to make (they take roughly 30 minutes from ideation to consumption!).
And they’re just… different. We’ve all had our fair share of chocolate chunk cookies, but these give you a lil something extra.
The chocolate pools mixed with the sweet, sticky dates and the crisp crunch of those pistachios? They’re special, my friend.
These are special cookies you make for a special occasion, a special someone, or a special day.
For me? This was the first cookie recipe I baked in my new kitchen! This is a cookie fit for that very special occasion.Print
Date & Pistachio Chocolate Chunk Cookies
With their caramely, chewy dates and crispity-crunchity green gem pistachio pieces, these vegan chocolate chunk cookies are so very special and tasty!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 12 cookies
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Vegan
- 1 tablespoon ground flax
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 and 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (spooned & leveled)
- 1 and 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup melted vegan butter*
- 1/2 cup lightly-packed brown sugar
- splash vanilla extract
- 4 large room temperature medjool dates, pitted and chopped into 1/4-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup raw, shelled pistachios, roughly chopped
- 1.5 ounces vegan dark chocolate, roughly chopped
- flaky salt, for topping if desired!
- Preheat your oven to 325 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Mix your flax and water in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Whisk your flour, baking soda, cornstarch, and salt in a large bowl. Set aside.
- Whisk your vegan butter, brown sugar, vanilla, and flax mixture in a medium bowl.
- Mix your dates and pistachios into the flour mixture, using your hands to break up the date chunks if they decide to stick together.
- Add your wet mixture to your flour mixture, and mix with a spatula until almost combined. Stir in your chocolate chunks (reserving a few for topping if you desire), making sure not to over-mix.
- Measure out 3 Tbsp. dough and roll into mounds that are taller than they are wide (see photo in post) – they’ll look like an oval, and this ensures that they spread the correct amount!
- Evenly space six of your dough balls on your baking sheet. They don’t spread very much, so feel free to put more on your baking sheet if desired.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until lightly golden. They’ll look underdone, but they’ll continue baking on the baking sheet. Sprinkle with flaky salt if desired.
- Allow your cookies to cool for 15 minutes on the baking sheet before moving them to a cooling rack to cool completely. Continue baking the second batch of cookies.
- BONUS TIP! I love storing my cookies in the fridge. They’re SO chewy and yum.
*Your butter should be melted but not hot or it’ll melt your chocolate!
Keywords: vegan chocolate chunk cookies, pistachio date desserts, vegan dessert, easy cookie recipe
Join the Fooduzzi Fam!
I'll send you healthy takes on classic recipes, delectable recipe roundups, and more updates on my growing blog. You'll also receive a series where I share my top dinner, dessert, and snack recipes with you –– for free!