There was no greater love than the love between child Alexa and a Reese’s Cup. There was something so utterly addictive about that magical peanut butter-chocolate combination that totally sent me into a tizzy. To say I was a fan is a morbid understatement.
Once I was introduced to the Easter-themed Reese’s Eggs, a new light was shined upon my life. Why do these oblong nuggets taste so superior to their rounded cousins? To this day, I cannot answer this conundrum. All I know is that when those Eggs hit the grocery store shelves, I was there, first in line, with eager hands wide open.
Little did I know that half of a bag of those alluring treats is not a serving. So once I started to learn about health and nutrition on my own, and therefore started to ween myself off of refined sugars and artificial ingredients, I realized that I would be Reese’s Egg-less for the rest of my life.
Or so I thought.
Guys. OH my gosh. These Whole Food Peanut Butter Eggs are full of easy-to-pronounce, nourishing, and delicious ingredients like peanut butter, oats, maple syrup, pure vanilla extract, cocoa powder, and coconut oil. Once I bit into one, I was transported to those naïve childhood days of mine, happily munching on my favorite holiday treat.
I just know that I’ll be making these Whole Food Peanut Butter Eggs throughout the year! No matter that these are “egg-shaped”; I can totally see me making them into trees for Christmas, pumpkins for Halloween, and hearts for Valentine’s Day. No matter the shape or the date, these Whole Food Peanut Butter Eggs are my favorite way to get that chocolate-peanut butter fix!
Whole Food Peanut Butter Eggs
|Prep:||Yield: serves 9-11||Total:|
Gluten free, refined sugar-free and vegan, these Whole Food Peanut Butter Eggs are a healthy play on the classic Easter treat!
- 1/2 cup natural peanut butter (or substitute with your favorite nut or seed butter)
- 2 and 1/2 Tbsp. maple syrup, divided
- 1/8 tsp. salt (you can omit if your nut butter already has salt)
- 1/4 cup rolled oats
- 3 Tbsp. coconut oil*
- 3 Tbsp. cocoa powder, sifted
- pure vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- To make the peanut butter filling: Melt peanut butter in the microwave or over the stove until creamy. Allow to cool slightly, then add 1 Tbsp. maple syrup and salt (if using). Mix until combined.
- Blend rolled oats in a blender or food processor until a fine flour forms. Add 1 Tbsp. of your oat flour to the peanut butter mixture (save the rest for another time or discard). Mix until combined. The mixture should resemble cookie dough and should be able to be formed into a ball. If your mixture is too loose, add more oat flour. If it is too stiff, add a bit more melted peanut butter.
- Form into egg shapes (I used anywhere from 1/2-1 Tbsp. of dough per egg and ended up with 10 total). Place on top of a sheet of wax paper that is covering a plate. Place in the freezer and freeze until practically solid, about 1 hour.
- To make the refined sugar-free chocolate coating: When you're just about ready to remove your peanut butter filling, melt coconut oil in the microwave or on the stove. Add sifted cocoa powder, remaining 1 and 1/2 Tbsp. maple syrup, vanilla, and salt and mix until smooth.
- Assemble the Peanut Butter Eggs: Remove peanut butter filling from the freezer. Dip each egg into the chocolate and turn to coat. Place on the same wax paper-covered plate. Once all eggs have been dipped, place the entire plate in the fridge to set, about 5 minutes. ** Store eggs in the fridge.
*You may use refined coconut oil if you’re very sensitive to coconut flavor. I used unrefined and didn’t detect the coconut.
**Pour any extra chocolate into ice cube molds for a delicious frozen chocolate treat.
Just go. Run. Hustle. Sprint. You need these Whole Food Peanut Butter Eggs in your life.
Stay classy, Internet friends!
Join the Fooduzzi Fam!
I'll send you healthy takes on classic recipes, delectable recipe roundups, and more updates on my growing blog. You'll also receive a series where I share my top dinner, dessert, and snack recipes with you –– for free!