Being someone that follows a whole food, plant-based lifestyle, I’m used to people questioning, poking fun, and full-out gawking at my eating habits.
Take, for instance, my two week-long work orientation. We jet-setted to a land far away from Pittsburgh to live out of a suitcase for 14 straight days. While I definitely learned a lot, I sure did miss my bed, my boyfriend, and my food.
One thing that never got old, however, was sharing my food philosophy with others. No, I didn’t shove it down people’s throats, but when they asked why I was passing up the ground beef and big bowl of queso for lunch, I was happy to share my thoughts.
Honestly, most people called me a rabbit. They didn’t understand how I could opt for seconds of that yummy kale salad or a big juicy Gala apple instead of chocolate cake or root beer floats for dessert. They laughed over how I would gush over the bean sprout tacos I had while I was there.
Which were AMAZING, by the way.
I love talking to people about stuff like this. When they find out that you can make yummy coconut cookies or chewy lemon scones healthy, they’re at least intrigued with this “classic recipes made healthy” philosophy of mine. I know this lifestyle isn’t for everyone, but if people start to understand my choices and maybe consider a whole food treat over a processed one? I’d consider it a win in my book.
That being said: There’s no way to get around the fact that, when you tell someone that you made secret ingredient chocolate pudding and that “secret ingredient” is avocado, you’re bound to turn some heads.
Yes, this Almond Joy Chocolate Pudding is made with a whole avocado. But it also has chocolate! Almonds! Toasted coconut! And a whole mess of healthy whole foods! I’m telling you, you’ll be addicted at first bite.
A couple tips for success regarding this Almond Joy Chocolate Pudding:
- Make sure your avocado is ripe: there ain’t no way it’s going to blend if it’s as hard as a rock!
- Use dark cocoa powder: I use Hershey’s Special Dark, which is found at most mega-marts, or Penzey’s Dutch Process Cocoa. The rich cocoa-yness of this type of cocoa powder does a bang-up job of covering up that avocado flava!
- Toast that coconut: I posted a handy-dandy How to Toast Coconut in 5 Minutes tutorial on Monday, so be sure to check it out for the optimal coconutty taste!
- Let it sit in the fridge…overnight: Yes, it may be the hardest dang thing you’ll do this week, but this Almond Joy Chocolate Pudding needs a nice chill in your fridge before consumption. Yes, you can give it a try at room temperature; however, I found that all of the flavors melded together much better after a quick chill.
- Don’t be afraid; give it a try: Yes, people
mayprobably will think you’re crazy. But who’s gonna be laughing when you’re sitting there with this delicious, healthy fat-packed, totally indulgent sweet treat? (hint: you)
7 healthy ingredients, 1 indulgent creamy rich treat! We love this Almond Joy Chocolate Pudding in the Fooduzzi household, and I know it’s bound to become a favorite in yours. Enjoy this treat for dessert, a snack, or even for breakfast; a “candy bar” pudding breakfast…I’d say this whole plant-based diet thing is pretty dang cool.Print
Almond Joy Chocolate Pudding
- 1 avocado
- 2–3 Tbsp. dutched/dark cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup milk of choice, but I suggest coconut
- 2 Tbsp. roasted almond butter
- 3 Tbsp. maple syrup
- 2 Tbsp. raw unsweetened coconut, toasted (check out my 5-minute tutorial, which is linked below!)
- 2 Tbsp. chopped almonds
- Pit and peel the avocado, and place it into a food processor. Add cocoa powder, milk, almond butter, and maple syrup, and blend until completely smooth. Scrape down the sides as needed.
- Scoop chocolate avocado pudding into a small bowl or container and mix in coconut and almonds. Cover and place in the fridge to chill overnight.
Don’t know how to toast coconut? My “How to Toast Coconut in 5 Minutes” tutorial couldn’t be more simple!
Join the Fooduzzi Fam!
I'll send you healthy takes on classic recipes, delectable recipe roundups, and more updates on my growing blog. You'll also receive a free eCookbook featuring my best recipes!