It didn’t matter where we went out to eat when I was younger; I was the one ordering the fettuccini alfredo.
If it was on the menu, my eyes wouldn’t even see the rest of the options – I developed a sort of tunnel-vision for my all-time favorite grub. A pile of perfectly al dente pasta smothered in a creamy, dreamy, buttery, cheesy white sauce?
*Channeling my inner-Chandler Bing* Could there BE a more delicious dinner option?!
Once I started my whole foods journey, pasta, including my beloved alfredo, was one of the first things to go. But after a childhood of delighting myself in arguably the single most indulgent food known to man, it was tough to cut the habit.
The day that I realized that pasta can, and admittedly totally should, be a part of a plant-based, gluten free, and whole foods diet was one of the happiest days of my life. It probably had to do with the fact that it was the first time Mark had ever cooked for me (swoon), but I’ll still remember it as one of the best pasta dishes I’ve ever had.
Every once in a while, I still get hungry for an ultra-creamy pasta dish, because, hello, it’s like comfort in a bowl. Especially this time of year when there’s a windchill of -10 and quite a few inches of snow on the ground
…I’m not bitter. ?
Regardless of the role that Snow Storm Jonas played in the creation of this Creamy Lemon Hummus Pasta with Vegetables, it freakin’ rocks. It’s healthy, bright in flavor, and full of veggies, all while being completely and utterly comforting and delicious. Creamy dreamy goodness we can feel good about consuming? I’m all in.
Ya’ll know I’ve been hummus-crazy lately. I’ve thrown it into two different dips and into stuffed peppers, and I’m STILL not tired of the stuff! It’s just so versatile and so creamy, I’m never without it in my fridge. If you’ve never tried it as a sauce before, boy are you in for a treat! Add a little lemon zest (the juice was wayyyy too potent), garlic, pepper, and red pepper flakes, and you’re well on your way to an easy and freakin’ delicious sauce.
Next up: the vegetation. You could absolutely use any vegetables here that you’d like, so I used our favorites: broccoli, mushrooms, and roasted red peppers. We’ll roast them in the oven with a healthy sprinkle of salt + pepper. Super simple, but seriously one of the best ways to treat your veggies.
Remember how I said that pasta can fit into a whole foods diet? It’s easy when brands like DeLallo offer gluten free pasta recipes that are made from TWO ingredients: corn and rice. Not only that, but it’s simply delicious! It’s a little sweet from the corn, but still perfectly tender like all good pastas should be. DeLallo also makes a gluten free brown rice pasta that I’m completely head-over-heels for – believe you me, you’re gonna love whichever you choose.
So, I’m not going to try and tell you what to do, but you seriously need this quick and easy 20-minute Creamy Lemon Hummus Pasta with Vegetables recipe in your weekly dinner lineup. Who knew you could have epically creamy and ridiculously tasty pasta that’s not only gluten free, but vegan and made from whole foods, too?! Creamy healthy comfort food for the win ❤️Print
Creamy Lemon Hummus Pasta with Vegetables
- Yield: 4-8 1x
- 3 cups broccoli florets
- 8-oz. baby bella mushrooms, quartered
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 package DeLallo Gluten Free Corn/Rice Spaghetti
- 3/4 cup plain hummus
- zest 2 lemons
- 2 small cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes (more or less to taste)
- 4+ Tbsp. reserved pasta water
- 1/2 cup. jarred roasted red peppers, cut into thin strips
- fresh parsley to serve
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F. Start heating your pasta water according to package instructions.
- Add broccoli and mushrooms to a baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil, and season with salt and pepper. Roast for 10-15 minutes, or until the vegetables start to brown. Set aside.
- While your vegetables are roasting, make the Creamy Lemon Hummus sauce: Add hummus, lemon zest, garlic, and red pepper flakes to a small bowl and mix to combine. Season with salt and pepper as necessary, as all hummus recipes are different.
- Cook pasta according to package instructions. Reserve 1/2 cup pasta water prior to draining. Thin our your hummus sauce with the reserved pasta water until it can easily be drizzled.
- Add cooked pasta to a plate, drizzle with hummus sauce, and top with roasted broccoli, roasted mushrooms, roasted red peppers, and parsley. Top with additional black pepper and red pepper flakes if desired.
A special thank you goes to DeLallo for supplying me with some of their super high-quality products that I love for this recipe! All opinions are my own.
Affiliate links were used in this blog post. “Affiliate” is just a fancy way of saying that I get some money if you click on and purchase the products that are linked! The money I earn will go directly back into Fooduzzi, so I’d really appreciate you helping me “feed” my blogging efforts!!
Join the Fooduzzi Fam!
I'll send you healthy takes on classic recipes, delectable recipe roundups, and more updates on my growing blog. You'll also receive a series where I share my top dinner, dessert, and snack recipes with you –– for free!