Yep. We’re making vegan queso hummus today. On a Monday.
Oh, happy day!
So when Mark bought queso from the store a few weeks ago, the wheels inside my head started to turn. Could I make a creamy, luscious dip that’s free of dairy and gluten and still pretty dang delicious?
Turns out the answer is yes. And this is what I have to show for it.
SO yeah, we’re making vegan queso hummus today! On this, the day of the first Monday Night Football game.
One thing you should know about my hometown of Pittsburgh is that Football is pretty much a religion here. For example, Mark and I opted to not get cable in this new apartment, and when I told my dad, the first words that left his mouth were, “But how will you watch the Steelers?”
Every single Sunday, after we’d get home for church, we’d start cooking food for the big game. More often than not, it was nachos topped with all the things. Including a pot full of queso warmed up on the stove.
So because football just screams queso to me, and because it’s the Steelers’ first game of the season tonight, we’re making a big ol’ bowl of vegan queso hummus.
So let’s get down to it, shall we?
As the name indicates, hummus serves as the base of our dip. And although hummus is quite delicious on its own, it’s not very queso-y, so we’ll have to add a little somethin’-somethin’ to get the job done.
First up: nutritional yeast! If you recall, we used this deactivated yeast a couple of weeks ago in our Cheez-It Roasted Chickpeas (!!!), so I love its vegan cheesy flavor in this queso hummus. To help us get to that classic yellow-orangey queso color, we’ll use some turmeric and some salsa. The turmeric doesn’t really add any flavor, but the salsa sure does. I used a mild homemade version, but you can use your favorite.
All good queso needs a bit of a bite, don’t you think? That’s why I added just a touch of diced jalapeños PLUS some jalapeño brine. When you get a piece of jalapeño in with the creamy queso, it absolutely takes me back to the days in front of the TV watching my favorite football team. Absolutely dreamy.
I know you guys are going to go crazy for this stuff. I took some over to my parents’ house and they went absolutely bonkers over it. It really does smell and taste like true queso!
Enjoy, friends! And here we go, Steelers!
Vegan Queso Hummus
|Prep:||Cook:||Yield: serves 4-6||Total:|
A vegan queso made from hummus! Just as cheesy and spicy as the original!
- 1 10-oz. container plain hummus
- 2 and 1/2 Tbsp. nutritional yeast
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 2 Tbsp. minced pickled jalapeños + 2 tsp. jalapeño brine
- 1/2 cup salsa, plus more for topping
- 2-4 tsp. lemon juice
- scant 1 tsp. turmeric
- water to thin (up to 1/2 cup)
- salt + pepper
- 1-2 green onion, for topping
- Combine hummus, nutritional yeast, garlic powder, jalapeños, brine, salsa, 2 tsp. lemon juice, turmeric, and 1/4 cup water in a small sauce pan. Mix to combine, heating over medium-low heat. Season with salt and pepper. If it's too thick, add additional water (I used about 1/2 cup total).
- Taste, and adjust seasoning as necessary, adding salt and pepper to taste. Taste will vary based on salsa chosen (I used a mild homemade cooked salsa). Serve warm with chips or veggies on the side and green onions and additional salsa on top.*
*I found that the dip tasted even better on day 2. It reheats just fine, so you can totally make this dip the day before you'll be eating it, and then just warm it up right before you dig in.
Join the Fooduzzi Fam!
I'll send you healthy takes on classic recipes, delectable recipe roundups, and more updates on my growing blog. You'll also receive a free eCookbook featuring my best recipes!