OH HAPPY DAY. Buffalo Chickpea Pizza. It’s HAPPENING.
I know this is a totally random recipe to be sharing in anticipation for Thanksgiving, but I really couldn’t wait to share it with you.
I. love. this. pizza.
Buffalo chicken pizza was a favorite of mine growing up. I was always a kid who loved spicy foods, and once you add carbs and cheese into the mix…well, it really doesn’t get any better than that. Except when it comes to dip. But you get the point.
I recently started to feel the craving again and like I needed to buffalo everything, so, fair-warning, this is the first of many buffalo’d recipes I have coming your way. But I think this Buffalo Chickpea Pizza is a perfect place to start.
UGH. Do you see how perfect that is?! ⬆️ Let’s get into the deets.
So first: crust. You can obviously use whatever kind of crust you’d like. Gluten-full, gluten free, whole wheat, whatevs. You just want it to measure to about 12-inches. I used Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free Pizza Crust Mix (aka. my gluten free pizza crust go-to), and it worked beautifully.
Next, my favorite part: the sauce. To say that I’m obsessed with this sauce would be a morbid understatement. It’s just hummus (obviously) and hot sauce, mixed together until deliciously smooth and perfect. I’ve been using this two-ingredient sauce every single day, usually as a dip for veggies. But then I got this crazy, wonderful idea to throw it on top of a pizza and OMG. I die. It’s SO good. It’s not overly spicy (unless you want to go that route, and in which case I say, “rock on”), but it’s creamy and zesty and spiced and so perfect.
And the toppings: Marinated chickpeas! I tossed some chickpeas with a bit of olive oil, salt, pepper, and cayenne, just so they didn’t feel left out of the awesome flavors happening elsewhere on this pizza. And then I used a bit of mozzarella to get all melty and perfect on the top. If you’re vegan, you can absolutely use a vegan parmesan (like this one) or a vegan mozzarella. They actually sell vegan mozz at Trader Joe’s, and I’ve seen it at my local mega mart; you can absolutely veganize this pizza if desired.
Plus parsley to make it pretty.
Do you remember when I told you that we had pizza Christmas Day growing up? This would be a perfect Christmas Day Pizza.
Or Thanksgiving Pizza if that’s your thing.
Or really, Any Day Pizza. You for sure don’t need an excuse to make this Buffalo Chickpea Pizza.
Buffalo Chickpea Pizza
|Prep:||Cook:||Yield: serves 3-4||Total:|
This Buffalo Chickpea Pizza is a gluten free and vegetarian alternative to an all-time favorite pizza! The hot sauce-hummus sauce is not to be missed! Vegan option included.
- 1 batch pizza dough (I used half of Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free Pizza Crust Mix, but you'll just need enough dough for 1 12-inch pizza)
- 1/2 cup plain hummus
- 3-4 Tbsp. hot sauce (I used Franks)
- salt + pepper
- 1 15-oz. can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1+ cup mozzarella or vegan mozzarella
- 2-3 Tbsp. parsley, minced for topping
- Prepare your pizza dough according to package instructions. Par cook your crust if needed.
- Mix hummus, 3 Tbsp. hot sauce, and salt and pepper (if needed) until smooth. Taste, and add the additional Tbsp. hot sauce if you want it spicier. Set aside.
- Add chickpeas to a small bowl. Cover with olive oil, salt, pepper, and cayenne, and mix to combine. Set aside.
- Spread hummus-hot sauce mixture on your crust. Top with chickpeas and cheese. Bake until cheese is melted and crust is done. Top with parsley and additional hot sauce if desired.
Join the Fooduzzi Fam!
I'll send you healthy takes on classic recipes, delectable recipe roundups, and more updates on my growing blog. You'll also receive a free eCookbook featuring my best recipes!