If I were to choose one “happy place” into which I would retreat for the rest of my life, I’m pretty sure I’d choose the middle of a chocolate waterfall cascading down the sides of a Grilled Pineapple Sundae.
Truth be told, we made this recipe once or twice back in the day. I remember first having it on our family vacation. We made some insanely filling meal, and then juuuust as we were convinced that nary a food morsel could pass our lips ever again, my parents brought out these.
And when face-to-face with a dessert of this droolworthiness? You just can’t say no.
I can imagine that these sundaes would be the perfect addition to your Memorial Day festivities. I mean, edible grilled pineapple bowls, creamy vegan ice cream, 3-ingredient vegan chocolate magic shell…those are the makings of a delicious long weekend, my friend.
It starts with grilled pineapple, which is easily one of my top five favorite things about summer. Grilled pineapple is good on, in, and around just about everything: salads, tacos (!!!), cocktails, and now…ice cream sundaes. Wha whaaat?!
Grilling pineapple is easy peasy, especially if you have a grill pan! I got mine from IKEA for like, nothing, and it has held up quite nicely. If you’re lucky enough to have a grill grill this summer, you can definitely use that! Just watch the pineapple a bit more, as it can go from perfectly caramelized to black in a hot second (literally).
Next! Ice cream! Ice cream is one of those things that I don’t ever buy from the store, but when I do… I’m obsessed. I finally got my hands on some Coconut Bliss, and I was amazed how rich and creamy a store bought vegan ice cream can be! It certainly costs more than a dairy-full option, but if you’re looking for a vegan option, Coconut Bliss is bliss! (#notsponsored)
And now the summer treat of my childhood: chocolate. magic. shell. Have you ever had it?! It’s a chocolate sauce that hardens upon contact of your ice cream, and it’s just so addictive. It’s super easy to make yourself – all you’ll need is some cocoa, coconut oil, and maple syrup -, and it’s super rich and decadent. Definitely don’t be shy about pouring it on…
As for the toppings, you do you. I really really love shredded coconut on top to keep on the whole tropical fruit theme, but some chopped nuts would be divine as well!
I really hope you enjoy these, friends! Super simple to make for a crowd or just for yourself ;)
Vegan Grilled Pineapple Sundaes
|Prep:||Cook:||Yield: serves 1 person||Total:|
A super simple ice cream treat perfect for summer! Naturally gluten free and vegan, and easy to make for a crowd!
- For the chocolate magic shell:
- 2 Tbsp. cocoa powder
- 2 Tbsp. melted coconut oil
- 1 Tbsp. maple syrup
- For one sundae*:
- 1 1-inch slice pineapple, cored and skinned
- 1-2 scoops vegan vanilla ice cream
- a healthy drizzle of chocolate shell
- flaked or shredded unsweetened coconut
- chopped nuts (optional)
- CHOCOLATE MAGIC SHELL: Mix cocoa, coconut oil, and maple syrup in a small bowl until completely smooth. If it's rather thick, stick it in the microwave for 10 seconds and mix until smooth and very drippy. Set aside.
- SUNDAE: Heat a grill pan** on medium heat. Add your slice of pineapple, and grill until caramelized on one side, then flip with tongs and cook until caramelized on the other (see photos). Watch it so that it doesn't burn.
- Remove the pineapple with tongs and place it on a plate. If you don't mind your ice cream being kinda melty, continue with the recipe. Otherwise, you can place the pineapple in the freezer for a few minutes so that it's a little more cool. I really love the hot pineapple mixed with the cold ice cream though.
- Add your ice cream on top of your grilled pineapple. Top with your magic shell, and sprinkle with toppings before the chocolate hardens. Enjoy immediately!
*This recipe can easily be made for additional people. Just multiply the sundae ingredients for as many people as you're serving. The chocolate shell ingredients is probably enough for two sundaes, unless you're a really big chocolate fan.
**You can also use a grill, just take extra care to watch that your pineapple doesn't burn.
Join the Fooduzzi Fam!
I'll send you healthy takes on classic recipes, delectable recipe roundups, and more updates on my growing blog. You'll also receive a series where I share my top dinner, dessert, and snack recipes with you –– for free!
Yes! We used to grill pineapple too but never for dessert! This looks unreal
Teresa Klein says
Can you store the chocolate sauce in a sealed plastic container ?
And if so how long would it last ?
Can you store it in fridge or will it harden ?
Or Is it best to store at room temperature ?
Thank you !
Alexa [fooduzzi.com] says
Great question. I’d suggest storing the chocolate sauce in a glass container in the fridge. It will harden (thanks to the coconut oil), so you can just heat it up by running some hot water around the container, by microwaving it, or by scooping it out of the container and heating it over low heat on the stove. Not sure about how long it would last, but I’d assume a few days :)
Unicorn Goods says
We love your recipes! We posted this to Instagram and tagged you :) Thanks for getting the word out there about how great a vegan lifestyle can be! You’re an inspiration.
Alexa [fooduzzi.com] says
Thank you so much for the love, friends!