[This post is sponsored by my wonderful friends at Bob’s Red Mill! We’re using their Almond Flour for these Vegan S’mores Cookies.]
HAPPY NATIONAL S’MORES DAY!
Didn’t realize the nation was celebrating it today? No? Up until about 4:00 yesterday, me neither.
While it was 100% by chance, I think this is the first time I’ve ever kept up with those crazy food holidays. Believe it or not, I didn’t observe National Raspberry Cream Pie Day on September 1st, nor did I get out the confetti and party streamers on International Carrot Day (which if you didn’t know was April 4th).
While virtually all of the food holidays are a bit much, National S’mores Day is certainly a food holiday I can get behind. Especially when Vegan S’mores Cookies are involved.
In my opinion, it’s just not summer without shoving a few s’mores in my mouth at some point. Living in an apartment, it’s not easy finding a campfire. Cookies, made in the comfort of my very own home, alleviate that issue beautifully. And deliciously.
So the cookie. Very simple, and very much based on these Best Damn GF & Vegan Chocolate Chunk Cookies. Sans the chocolate chunks, and plus a bit of cinnamon because we’re going for that whole graham cracker vibe.
We’re also using Bob’s Red Mill’s Almond Flour in these cookies. Even though I’m not 100% gluten free anymore, almond flour remains one of my very favorite flours to cook with…especially for cookies. Almond flour makes cookies supremely chewy, outrageously soft, and downright mouthwatering. Bob’s is my go-to brand, so definitely get your hands on a bag (or two).
As for the marshmallows, I found a vegan variety at none other than Trader Joe’s. I was delightfully shocked to see that their marshmallows were vegan, as most marshmallows are made with gelatin. But these marshmallows are just as sweet and fun as the originals! If you don’t have a TJs near you, you can check out these on Amazon.
And last, we’ll drizzle a generous amount of dark chocolate on top. Can I get a heck yeah?!
These are the ultimate end of summer or even a back-to-school treat.
Picture this: you’re a kid at school and you open your lunchbox to find a s’mores cookie. One more taste of summer – best day ever.
Vegan S'mores Cookies
|Prep:||Cook:||Yield: 11-12 cookies||Total:|
Summer's favorite treat...in cookie form! The perfect vegan and gluten free dessert with no campfire in sight.
- 1 cup almond flour
- 2 Tbsp. coconut flour
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp. coconut oil, melted
- 2 Tbsp. peanut butter
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup
- 6 vegan marshmallows, cut in half
- 3.5 oz. vegan dark chocolate, melted
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine almond flour, coconut flour, baking soda, and cinnamon in medium bowl. Whisk to combine, making sure to remove all clumps.
- In a small bowl, melt coconut oil. Add peanut butter, maple syrup, and vanilla and stir well to combine.
- Add wet ingredients into the dry, and mix until combined. The dough will be slightly sticky.
- Measure out heaping tablespoon-sized mounds of cookie dough and roll into balls. Slightly flatten the cookies with the back of a measuring spoon.
- Bake for 7 minutes, then remove and carefully top each cookie with a half of a marshmallow. Bake for another 2-3 minutes, or until the marshmallow is warm*. Remove from oven, and allow your cookies to cool for 5 minutes on the baking sheet before moving them to a wire rack. I split my marshmallows with a knife a bit so they'd be a bit more gooey once I bit into the cookie.
- Drizzle them with your melted dark chocolate. Enjoy immediately (they're really delicious warm!), or allow to set and store in the fridge in an air-tight container.
*If you want your marshmallow to be dark as if you roasted them in a campfire, either toast them over your gas stove or broil them on a silicone baking sheet until toasted. You can then just scoop them off the baking sheet with a spoon and place them on top of your cookies.
A special thanks goes to Bob’s Red Mill for sponsoring this post! Check out more delicious healthy recipes, snag coupons, and find stores near you at BobsRedMill.com!
Join the Fooduzzi Fam!
I'll send you healthy takes on classic recipes, delectable recipe roundups, and more updates on my growing blog. You'll also receive a free eCookbook featuring my best recipes!