Woah. A PSL…caramelized?
This has to be a whole new level of basic.
Coffee + milk = love. That’s exactly how I like to start my mornings.
I got out of my coffee habit a few years ago. I went from drinking at least 3 cups a day to drinking none because it would make me so gosh-darn jittery. Like heart-racing, can’t-focus, shaking-everywhere kind of jittery.
But then one day about 6 months ago, I couldn’t take the smell of Mark’s coffee anymore. I had to have some.
That sweet swig after at least 1 and a half years off the stuff was a moment of pure beauty. I had seriously missed my cuppa joe, and luckily, it seemed to have missed me. No jitters. I was in the clear to resume by coffee habits at once!
So this newish found love for coffee needed a fall flair. And I know there are some of you who think a sugary, caramely latte is totally barbaric and an abomination to coffee drinkers everywhere.
To that I say: I get it. I’m typically included in that group. Nothing will ever beat a big ol’ cup of the strong stuff.
But it’s happening because fall. This is the greatest example of “fall in a cup” that I will ever make. Guaranteed.
Just give me this one, okay? And heck, try it. Who knows, you might actually like it. ;)
SO. Lattes are typically made up of two parts: espresso (or coffee) and milk. Today, we’re jazzing it up a little bit with some Vegan Pumpkin Spice Caramel Sauce. Remember this stuff from earlier this week? Yeah, still loving it over here. I have some epic baked good plans for the stuff, but I couldn’t pass the opportunity to add it to a trashed-up vegan pumpkin spice latte. And oh boy. Not only does it add sweetness and flavor, it also thickens the latte a bit! Kind of love it. And I’m not even a fan of caramel macchiatos or whatever! The Pumpkin Spice Caramel Sauce is rich and has such a deep flavor – you’ll love it in your coffee!
To really reinforce the whole “pumpkin” thing here, we’ll mix some pureed pumpkin with our milk. You can use any non-dairy milk you want. I had an opened can of full-fat coconut milk, so that’s what I used. I loved how thick and creamy it was, but I find full-fat coconut milk kind of gives me a stomach ache when drank (drinken?) in bulk. Next time, I’m definitely going with my standby: unsweetened vanilla almond milk. Heat your pumpkin-milk mixture, add a touch of spice, strain, and boom. Done.
So to construct this whole Vegan Caramel Pumpkin Spice Latte situation: layer caramel, hot coffee, milk mixture, and then a bit of foamy steamed milk on top (optional). Then give your latte another quick drizzle of caramel and hallelu! Fall in a cup, easily made at home, and effortlessly made vegan.
Do you feel like the hair-flip emoji chick or what? ?
Vegan Caramel Pumpkin Spice Latte
|Prep:||Cook:||Yield: 1 latte||Total:|
A vegan pumpkin spice latte...with a sweet twist! Pumpkin spice caramel is a delicious addition to this famous fall latte, and it's so simple to make at home!
- 1 cup non-dairy milk (almond, coconut, soy, etc.), plus more for frothing
- 3 Tbsp. pumpkin puree
- 1/8 tsp. pumpkin spice seasoning
- 1-2 Tbsp. Vegan Pumpkin Spice Caramel Sauce, plus more for drizzling
- 2-3 ounces strong, hot coffee
- Heat your milk, pumpkin puree, and pumpkin spice seasoning in a pot on the stove over medium heat, whisking occasionally. When nearly boiling, strain the mixture through a fine-mesh strainer over a bowl/cup with a lip for easy pouring. Set aside.
- Optionally, heat up another 1/4 cup milk in the same pot and froth using an electric frother. Set aside.*
- Grab a large coffee/latte cup and add 1-2 Tbsp. Pumpkin Spice Caramel Sauce (depending on your preferred level of sweetness. Add your coffee and your strained milk mixture. Top with frothed milk and another drizzle of caramel sauce. Mix with a spoon if desired and drink up!
*Alternatively, you can add your milk to a mason jar and microwave it until hot. Screw on your lid and shake until frothy!
Join the Fooduzzi Fam!
I'll send you healthy takes on classic recipes, delectable recipe roundups, and more updates on my growing blog. You'll also receive a series where I share my top dinner, dessert, and snack recipes with you –– for free!