And artichokes. And whatever you want to throw into a delicious marination party!
So. Marinated olives are one of my favorite foods. I realize that olives are a super alienating food (if you’re an olive hater, here’s another epic Italian appetizer recipe that can keep you occupied until I post a new recipe next week), but I come from a household full of olive lovers.
…you get the point.
BUT. Marinated olives are ridiculously expensive. I’ve seen olive bars at my local grocery stores costing $9.99 per pound or higher. And that’s bonkers crazy to me. I love marinated olives just as much, if not more, than the next olive fanatic. But spending $10 on a pound of olives is a bit much.
Considering Mark and I can easily polish off a pound of olives in one night.
SO. One day I was at the store (Trader Joe’s, natch), and I saw a can of olives in brine for $1.99. A DOLLAR NINETY NINE. For 6 ounces of olives! That got my mind a-turnin’.
What if I buy these brined, canned olives and…marinate them myself?
Well, I’ll tell you what if: it’s a fabulous way to enjoy olivey deliciousness! And for cheap!
And the best part? It’s completely customizable to your tastebuds.
- Like black olives but can’t stand green? Do it up with the black olives!
- Want some sweetness in your mix? Add some sun dried tomatoes or roasted garlic cloves!
- How about some more texture? Grab some canned artichokes and go.to.town!
- Some spice? Banana pepper rings (my FAVE) would be epic!
You can’t go wrong. And once you’ve assembled your ingredients, drain them, give ’em a quick rinse, and then toss them in olive oil and seasoning and you’re DONE.
And don’t you dare skip the vino.
We seriously love these marinated olives! And they get better over time, so keep them in the fridge, give ’em a stir, and devour them whenever the craving strikes.
Homemade Quick Marinated Olives
|Prep:||Yield: serves 6-8 people||Total:|
A simple way to enjoy marinated olives on the cheap! Naturally gluten free and vegan.
- 3 15-oz. cans olives/artichokes*
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1/4 tsp. granulated garlic
- 3/4 tsp. dried oregano
- red pepper flakes, to taste
- salt + pepper
- Drain and quickly rinse your olives. No need to get all the brine off - it adds flava!
- Pour your olives in a large bowl. Drizzle with olive oil and season with granulated garlic, oregano, and red pepper flakes. Stir, taste, and season with salt and pepper.
- Store in an air-tight container in the fridge.
*Sun dried tomatoes, roasted garlic, banana pepper rings, etc. would all be awesome here! Also you can do pitted or non-pitted olives - up to you!
Join the Fooduzzi Fam!
I'll send you healthy takes on classic recipes, delectable recipe roundups, and more updates on my growing blog. You'll also receive a series where I share my top dinner, dessert, and snack recipes with you –– for free!