True life: this has been our dinner most nights for the last week.
It’s. So. Stupidly. Good.
Simple dinners are the best dinners. September is shaping up to be a crazy busy month for us (and I’m sure many of you out there!), so dinners that I can get onto the table in 10 minutes flat are perfect.
And because I’ve recently decided to re-introduce gluten back into my diet, I’ve become totally and undeniably obsessed with bread. In fact, in the past week, I’ve bought two and a half loaves (the Whole Foods bread counter is a blessing and a curse). I don’t even know who I am anymore, but I love it.
SO. A dinner like this is inevitable. Luckily, Mark is just as crazy about it as I am.
First, take some bread. Highhhhly recommend a nice crusty Italian loaf from your fave bakery, but any kind of bread will do. Even gluten free! Just slice it up nice and thick (1″ pieces are ideal), brush it/drizzle it with olive oil, and grill it (I love my grill pan from IKEA!) until it’s crispy. I like my toast very much under-toasted, but you do you. Mark likes his crispier, so I just keep it on my grill pan for a little longer.
And then the toppings! Still obsessed with my Vegan Cashew Ricotta recipe, and it works so well on grilled bread. It’s salty, slightly garlicky, and super creamy and delicious. The perfect spread and glue for our beautiful fresh tomatoes! I like my tomatoes sliced niiiiice and thin on top of my grilled bread, but you do you!
And then more toppings! I highly suggest topping each slice with a small drizzle of olive oil, and I really like adding a pinch of granulated garlic, dried oregano, red pepper flakes, and fresh basil on top, but customize it however you want! They’re honestly terrific with just some salt and pepper on top too.
This is perhaps the easiest recipe I’ve ever shared on the blog, but it’s definitely one of my favorites. It screams end-of-summer, and it’s seriously good enough to be served as breakfast, lunch, an appetizer, or dinner.
Perfection, you guys. Pure carby perfection.
Grilled Bread with Tomatoes and Cashew Ricotta
|Prep:||Cook:||Yield: serves 2-3 people||Total:|
A simple dinner, appetizer, breakfast, or any-time meal! Naturally gluten free and vegan, and comes together in about 15 minutes!
- 1 batch Easy Vegan Cashew Ricotta
- 4-6 1-inch slices of your favorite bread*
- olive oil
- salt + pepper
- 1-2 large tomatoes, sliced thin
- For topping: olive oil, granulated garlic, dried oregano, red pepper flakes, fresh basil
- Make up your cashew ricotta. You can do this a day in advance if you want!
- Heat up a grill pan over medium heat. Brush your bread slices with olive oil and season both sides with salt and pepper. Grill until both sides are toasted to your liking.
- Spread a nice and thick layer of your cashew ricotta onto your grilled bread, followed by a few slices of tomato. Season the tomato with salt + pepper, and then top with additional olive oil and seasoning if desired (highly recommended!). Serve immediately.
*I highly recommend an Italian bread (Whole Foods has an amazing one), but use your fave! I recommend 2-3 slices per person.
Join the Fooduzzi Fam!
I'll send you healthy takes on classic recipes, delectable recipe roundups, and more updates on my growing blog. You'll also receive a series where I share my top dinner, dessert, and snack recipes with you –– for free!