Carbzzzz. My very favorite part of this time of year!
I mean, let’s be serious. Is there anyone out there whose favorite part of Thanksgiving dinner isn’t something carby?
Pretty sure carbs reign supreme on Turkey-less Day.
You know I’m not a huge Thanksgiving food fan. But potatoes? I can get behind potatoes every single day.
But smashed potatoes might be my favorite variety of them all. These. Are. Crazy.
They’re rich, herby, and so incredibly crispy, adding texture to a Thanksgiving plate that’s full of soft, mooshy dishes.
Plus, those colors. So pretty, right?!
So I set on a quest to make the vegan!
And vegan we made it! A mixture of olive oil, salt, herbs, and garlic make these potatoes absolutely amazing and fit to be next to your vegetarian/vegan mains during the Thanksgiving holiday!
You simply: boil the potatoes, smash the potatoes, season the potatoes, and bake the potatoes for 30 minutes. Easy as that!
Plus the free smells you get from your oven as you’re baking them? Totally worth the price of admission if you ask me.
Herby potatoes always have a special place in my heart, so I hope you love these, friends!
Crispy Vegan Smashed Potatoes
|Prep:||Cook:||Yield: 3-4 servings||Total:|
Tender, crispy, herby, and garlicky! These potatoes are absolutely heavenly as a Thanksgiving or holiday side!
- 2 lbs. small multi-colored potatoes
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil, plus more for the baking sheet
- 1 heaping Tbsp. minced hardy herbs (I used thyme and rosemary)
- 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
- salt + pepper
- For topping: fresh parsley and rosemary and Vegan Parmesan
- Preheat your oven to 450 degrees F. Spread a thin layer of olive oil on a baking sheet. Set aside.
- Add your potatoes to a medium-large pot. Cover with cool tap water, and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Once boiling, reduce to medium and cook for 10-12 minutes, or until fork-tender. Drain, and allow to cool for 5 minutes.
- Place your potatoes on the prepared baking sheet, and smash with a fork or potato masher. Your goal is to carefully smash them so that each potato stays in one smashed piece (a few of mine broke into multiple pieces, which is totally a-okay, just a bit more difficult to serve).
- Combine your olive oil, herbs, and garlic powder. Drizzle over your potatoes, and use your hands to rub it over the potatoes. Season with salt and pepper, and bake for 30 minutes or until golden and crispy.
- Drizzle with a bit more olive oil. Sprinkle with fresh herbs (I used some fresh rosemary and parsley) and Vegan Parmesan if desired!
Slightly adapted from How Sweet Eats
Join the Fooduzzi Fam!
I'll send you healthy takes on classic recipes, delectable recipe roundups, and more updates on my growing blog. You'll also receive a series where I share my top dinner, dessert, and snack recipes with you –– for free!