YAY. My very first burrito on the blog ever.
I’m ashamed, but also very excited.
Would you believe that I hadn’t had a real-deal, as-big-as-your-face burrito up until like…late last year?
It’s ridiculous. As someone who is a mondo fan of Mexican food, a burrito is a must.
And yet, the sacred burrito experience was unbeknownst to me up until very very recently.
That all changed, and now I’m a burrito fiend. I burrito constantly. I burrito on weekends. I burrito on trips. I burrito at restaurants. And, most importantly, I burrito at home.
Yes, today we are talking about a Vegan Seitan Burrito. It’s chewy, it’s a lil spicy, it’s crunchy, and it’s fabulous.
The Anatomy of the Vegan Seitan Burrito
Alright, let’s get our “food doctor” coats on and dissect this thing, shall we?
The most important part, the star if you will, is the seitan. Remember we made it before? This one is made in exactly the same way, just with Mexican seasonings instead of Italian.
It’s an overnight thing, so it’s best if you start it right when your burrito cravings are starting, rather than when you’re in a full-blown I-need-a-burrito-now-or-else situation. Been there.
The rest of the burrito ingredients are completely up to you, but I went classic:
- Mashed avocado – seasoned with a little salt and pep
- Crisp lettuce – romaine preferred, but butter lettuce is yum
- Hot sauce – Franks or Cholula, always
- Salsa – I went mild
Simple and delish.
To make it more filling and carby, add rice. Mark suggested the addition of tortilla chips, and I’ll tell ya…I didn’t hate that idea one bit.
You do you, boo. Make your Vegan Seitan Burrito your own and dive on in.Print
Vegan Seitan Burrito
A protein-packed vegan burrito that’s totally customizable! Fill it with rice, veggies, guacamole, hot sauce, and/or chips. The seitan is is the star; it’s Mexican-spiced and super simple to make!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 90 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 40 minutes
- Yield: 4–5 servings 1x
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Mexican
2 cups vital wheat gluten
2 Tbsp. nutritional yeast
2 tsp. garlic powder
3 tsp. smoked paprika
2 tsp. dried oregano
3 tsp. chili powder
2 and 1/2 tsp. cumin
1+ tsp. salt
pepper, to taste
2 cups vegetable stock or water
1/4 cup olive oil
2 Tbsp. soy sauce
2–3 Tbsp. minced chipotle peppers from a can of chipotles in adobo*
2 Tbsp. adobo sauce from a can of chipotles in adobo
big flour tortilla
avocado or guac
- SEITAN: Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grab a large bowl. Add your vital wheat gluten and seasonings, and whisk to combine. Set aside.
- In a smaller bowl, combine your stock, oil, soy sauce, minced chipotles, and adobo sauce. Whisk to combine.
- Pour your wet ingredients into your dry ingredients, and mix with a wooden spoon. The mixture will look kind of curdled and it’ll be thick and stretchy, but keep stirring until you don’t see any more flour.
- Scoop your mixture onto a clean work surface, and knead it 10 times. Shape into a 8-inch log, and wrap tightly in two pieces of aluminum foil. Twist the ends and fold them up.
- Place your aluminum log on a baking sheet, and bake for 85-90 minutes, or until the log seems firm to the touch. Remove from the oven and place on a cooling rack. Once at room temperature, place in the fridge overnight.
- BURRITO: “Pull” some pieces off of your seitan log so you have some large chunks that have craggly edges. Place in a pan with some oil and sauté to warm through and caramelize, about 10 minutes.
- I like to pop my tortilla in the microwave under a damp paper towel for like…10 seconds just to warm it a bit. Optional, but recommended.
- Layer your desired burrito ingredients on top of your tortilla, and roll to wrap (bottom first, then the sides, then roll the whole thing over the un-rolled side). Dive in!
*2 Tbsp. if you tolerate spice, 3 if you love it.
Keywords: vegan seitan, seitan burrito, vegan mexican food
Join the Fooduzzi Fam!
I'll send you healthy takes on classic recipes, delectable recipe roundups, and more updates on my growing blog. You'll also receive a series where I share my top dinner, dessert, and snack recipes with you –– for free!