Welcome to recipe #1 of Oat Week – 4th of July Edition! This post is sponsored by my wonderful friends over at Bob’s Red Mill – we’re using their Gluten Free Oat Flour for these Gluten Free Vegan S’mores!
It’s Oat Week again!! Am I dreaming?! This is shaping up to be one heck of a summer, friends!
Especially because we now have s’mores!! I’m so freakin’ excited about this one!
Truth be told, I’m a huge s’mores fan. That melty marshmallow, that rich chocolate, and those cinnamony graham crackers. I can’t even tell you how much I loved s’mores as a kid. I’m not that much of a camping, outdoorsy type (I could never get behind the idea of eating and sleeping with the bugs), so I barely even had s’mores growing up. But I just remember being obsessed with s’mores whenever I got the chance to have one!
I was recently telling Mark about my love affair with this dessert, but he had the strangest look on his face while I was talking. When I was done, he asked me to say “S’mores” one more time. I did, and he started laughing.
TURNS OUT I’ve been saying “S’mores” as “Some-mores” for my entire life. I made a one-syllable word into two.
Oy. Oh well. Regardless of how you say “S’mores,” I can nearly guarantee you’re gonna LOVE my rift on them.
It all starts with my play on a graham cracker. I used just a simple combination of Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free Oat Flour, almond flour, coconut oil, cinnamon, maple syrup, and molasses. Mark, a self-proclaimed graham cracker efficinato, loved them. The dough is a little wet, but after they’re baked, they crisp up nicely around the edges thanks to the oat flour! They still have a bit of chew in the middle, which I love and prefer with the soft interior ingredients, but if you’re a crunch graham fan, simply bake them for a minute or two longer.
I decided to sprinkle some cinnamon-coconut sugar on the tops of one batch, and while they tasted delicious, they looked a little…weird. Not unappetizing in the least, just not very pretty. So if taste > looks, I highly suggest you going the “sprinkle” route.
Next up! MARSHMALLOW FLUFF. Making this the perfect you-don’t-need-a-campfire-to-make-these s’mores! This marshmallow fluff is made vegan and refined sugar free thanks to a very special (and, admittedly, bizarre) ingredient: aquafava. I used aquafava (otherwise known as the water in a can of chickpeas) about a year ago with this recipe, and I was completely and totally blown away at how much it tastes like actual marshmallow fluff when mixed with a liquid sweetener and vanilla extract. It’s so crazy, I know. But guys, I’m telling you. This aquafava marshmallow fluff is the real deal!!
Now for some chocolate. I have had a full-on addiction to the Organic Dark Chocolate from Trader Joe’s recently (it’s the same stuff I used in these!!), so I wanted to use it here. Because our marshmallow fluff isn’t hot like a marshmallow right off the campfire, our chocolate needs to be melty, ooey, and gooey before adding it to our s’more creation. Pro tip: if you wanted these s’mores to be truly refined sugar-free, you can totally sub the dark chocolate for this chocolate fudge sauce!
And take it to someone who knows, you’ll need to stuff these a lot less than you think. I piled on a little too much marshmallow fluff on my first s’more and it was a complete and total mess.
But if it wasn’t the most delicious mess I’ve ever had to deal with, I don’t know what was.
S’mores in the comfort of your own living room. Now that’s an idea I can get behind.Print
Gluten Free Vegan S’mores
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Total Time: 30 mins
- Yield: 8 s'mores 1x
- THE GRAHAM CRACKERS
- 1/2 cup Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free Oat Flour
- 1/4 cup + 2 Tbsp. almond flour
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 3 Tbsp. coconut oil, melted
- 1 Tbsp. molasses
- 1 Tbsp. maple syrup
- optional: 1 Tbsp. coconut sugar and 1/2 tsp. cinnamon, mixed
- THE MARSHMALLOW FLUFF
- 1/2 cup aquafava (the water drained from 1 14-oz. can chickpeas)
- 1/4 cup honey or maple syrup
- pinch cream of tartar
- splash pure vanilla extract
- THE CHOCOLATE
- 1.5 oz. vegan chocolate, melted (I used 73% cacao)
- For the graham crackers: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Mix oat flour, almond flour, and cinnamon in a medium bowl. Make sure to remove most of the almond flour clumps in the process.
- Add melted coconut oil, molasses, and maple syrup to a small bowl, and mix to combine.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix to combine. The dough will be wet. Set in the fridge for 10 minutes to set.
- After 10 minutes, measure out 1-Tbsp.-sized portions of dough onto a baking sheet, shaping each into a flat square with your hands. Sprinkle with coconut sugar/cinnamon mixture if desired.
- Bake for 10-11 minutes, or until the edges are deeply brown*. Allow to cool on the baking sheet for 10 minutes, and then move to a cooling rack to continue cooling.
- For the marshmallow fluff: Add aquafava, honey/maple syrup, cream of tartar, and vanilla to a stand mixer (or a bowl with a hand mixer), and mix until stiff peaks form, 5-10 minutes.**
- Assemble your s’mores: Spoon some marshmallow fluff onto one graham cracker, and spoon chocolate onto another graham cracker. Sandwich together and devour.
*The graham crackers still have a bit of chew in the middle, which I love and prefer with the soft interior ingredients, but if you’re a crunch graham fan, simply bake them for a minute or two longer. Just be sure to keep an eye on them to be sure the bottoms don’t burn!
**You’ll definitely have some marshmallow fluff leftover, so you can put it in an air-tight container in the fridge. The ingredients will separate in the fridge, but you can simply re-whip it in your stand mixer/with your hand mixer, and it’ll be as good as new!
A very special thank you goes to Bob’s Red Mill for sponsoring this post and for supplying me with some of their delicious gluten free products that I love for this recipe! All opinions are my own.
Join the Fooduzzi Fam!
I'll send you healthy takes on classic recipes, delectable recipe roundups, and more updates on my growing blog. You'll also receive a free eCookbook featuring my best recipes!