Hi, friends! I’m coming to you on a Sunday for a veeeeerrrry special reason…
We’re celebrating two birthdays today: mine & Fooduzzi’s!!
Yep, I started Fooduzzi on my birthday exactly two years ago today. I quickly texted my then-best friend/now-boyfriend, Mark, to tell him I had done it, he subsequently freaked out, and the rest, as they say, is history.
Fooduzzi and I have been through a lot together. It has pushed me to sharpen my recipe development and photography skills. It has allowed me to do one of my all-time favorite things: write. It has allowed me to work with some of my all-time favorite brands. And it has connected me with so many amazing readers, fellow bloggers, and full-out foodies over the world wide web.
I have such an exciting 2017 planned, and I’m so incredibly honored you’re along for the ride.
Thank you so much for everything.
But enough mushiness…let’s talk SNICKERDOODLE BUCKEYES.
Buckeyes have always been one of my fave Christmas “cookies.” In fact, just a few years ago, my mom and I mixed, rolled, and dipped nearly 150 of them for a cookie swap. That was a bit crazy, but I was in my happy place because, is there anything better than peanut butter and chocolate and the magic of the holidays? Absolutely not.
But these. These buckeyes get a little Christmas makeover with the addition of some snickerdoodle flava. I heart snickerdoodles so much because I’m a cinnamon fiend, so there really isn’t anything better. We’re also rolling the cinnamony-peanut buttery balls in some cinnamon sugar, making them even more addictive and snickerdoodle-y.
Side note: I want my whole life to be more snickerdoodle-y.
But these buckeye balls! I’m in love. It’s a simple mixture of peanut butter, maple syrup, cinnamon, cream of tartar, and the ingredient that holds all of that goodness together: Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free Oat Flour. It is the PERFECT binder here because it doesn’t impart any flavor, yet it firms up our buckeye balls. It’s almost the texture of the inside of a peanut butter egg, aka. the most delicious candy out there.
Oh, and then we’ll dip our cinnamon-sugar-rolled balls in dark chocolate and hello I’m in love.
I hope you love these cinnamon-peanut butter delights just as much as we did. They truly do make my holiday/birthday season just that more festive and wonderful.
Snickerdoodle Buckeyes (gluten free & vegan)
|Prep:||Yield: 15-16 balls||Total:|
Rich peanut butter buckeyes are given a snickerdoodle makeover! Naturally gluten free and vegan and perfect for your holiday celebrations!
- 1/2 cup natural peanut butter, plus 2 Tbsp. for the topping if desired
- 1 Tbsp. maple syrup
- 2-3 Tbsp. Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free Oat Flour
- 1.5 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. cream of tartar (optional)
- For topping:
- 2 Tbsp. organic evaporated cane juice/coarse sugar/coconut sugar
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 2.5 oz. vegan dark chocolate
- Melt peanut butter. Add it to a bowl with maple syrup, 2 Tbsp. oat flour, cinnamon, and cream of tartar. Mix to combine; the mixture should come together in a ball and should be smooth. If the mixture isn't coming together, add another Tbsp. of oat flour.
- In a small bowl, combine sugar and cinnamon for the topping. Set aside.
- Roll peanut butter mixture into small balls (I got 15-16 balls out of the batch). Roll each ball in the sugar/cinnamon mixture, and place on a parchment-lined plate. Place in the freezer to set for about an hour.
- Meanwhile, melt your dark chocolate.
- Once the buckeyes are set, remove them from the freezer and dip them in the melted chocolate with a toothpick, leaving the tops exposed (see photos). Set each buckeye back on the parchment-lined plate and set in the fridge to set. Store buckeyes in an air-tight container in the fridge.
A very special thank you goes to Bob’s Red Mill for sponsoring this post and for supplying me with some of their delicious gluten free products that I love for this recipe! All opinions are my own.
Join the Fooduzzi Fam!
I'll send you healthy takes on classic recipes, delectable recipe roundups, and more updates on my growing blog. You'll also receive a series where I share my top dinner, dessert, and snack recipes with you –– for free!