This post is sponsored by my wonderful friends at Bob’s Red Mill! We’re using their Gluten Free 1 to 1 Baking Flour for these Easy Gluten Free & Vegan Soft Pretzel Bites.
Hello, hello! And happy Monday, dear friends.
When I was younger – like, middle school / high school age -, I loved freezer soft pretzels. You know the ones. We’d get a box of like…100 of them at Costco. I’d bake up a couple of them as an after school “snack.” And I’d eat them with copious amounts of yellow mustard and cheese dip.
And that was before we’d sit down to dinner as a family. And probably dessert.
Luckily, those days are more or less behind me. But my love of soft pretzel goodness remains to this day.
Honestly, before this recipe, I hadn’t had a good soft pretzel in…3 years? Maybe more? That’s a sad truth to admit. But it’s true. After going gluten free, I hadn’t really tried tbh.
But that ends today, friends.
I love these things. Love love love. I made them twice already, and I can almost guarantee that they will be made on repeat this summer.
They’re one of those things you want to pull out of the oven right before you have company coming over. They’re so fun, bite-sized, and perfect for dipping and dunking in your favorite sauce. Mustard and honey mustard will always be my #1 choice, but choose your fave!
And the dough! So easy you guys! We’re using Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free 1 to 1 Baking Flour, and it makes me all kinds of happy. I’ve gone through a giant bag of the stuff in…oh, I don’t know…a month. It’s been so much fun to play around in the kitchen and make baked goods that remind me of my childhood because this flour is just so darn easy to use! Love.
As for the texture? I’d say they’re pretty spot-on to the pretzels I loved so much as a kid. Maybe a tad bit denser, but I loved them just as much. They’re chewy and soft and perfect in every way. And that’s thanks, in part, to us boiling the pretzels before baking! Yep, we’re doing it. We’ll boil each pretzel bite in a baking soda/water solution which will give them that gorgeous brown exterior we all know and love.
And the crunchy toppings? Fuhgettaboutit. I used an “everything” bagel seasoning and they were insane. Simple flakey salt works perfectly here as well!
If you’ve ever feared making soft pretzels at home…fear no more. They could not be easier or more fun to make!
Side effect of making homemade soft pretzels? Feeling like a bad@$$ because you just made freakin’ homemade soft pretzels!
Easy Gluten Free & Vegan Soft Pretzel Bites
|Prep:||Cook:||Yield: yields ~30 pretzel bites||Total:|
Super soft and chewy soft pretzels made gluten free and vegan!
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Add yeast, water, salt, and sugar to the bowl of a stand mixer, and whisk until combined. Attach the dough attachment to your stand mixer, turn the speed to medium-low, and slowly add your flour to the mixture until combined. The dough should come together and not be too sticky.
- Meanwhile, bring your water and baking soda to a boil in a large pot.
- Turn the dough out on a floured surface and form into a flat circle. Cut into 2-inch strips, then cut each strip into 1 and 1/2 - 2 inch bites.
- Take 5-10 bites and carefully drop them in your boiling baking soda water for 20-30 seconds. Carefully remove with a slotted spoon and place on your prepared baking sheet. Sprinkle with desired toppings - I went with "everything" bagel seasoning and flaky salt. Continue this process until all of the bites are boiled and topped.
- Bake 18-22 minutes, or until the pretzels are nice and golden brown on the outside and cooked through on the inside. Serve immediately - these get really dense and chewy after a few hours at room temp.
Adapted from the Sally's Baking Addiction Cookbook
A special thanks goes to Bob’s Red Mill for sponsoring this post! Check out more delicious healthy recipes, snag coupons, and find stores near you at BobsRedMill.com!
Join the Fooduzzi Fam!
I'll send you healthy takes on classic recipes, delectable recipe roundups, and more updates on my growing blog. You'll also receive a free eCookbook featuring my best recipes!