[This post is sponsored by my wonderful friends at Bob’s Red Mill! We’re using their Organic Buckwheat for this Banana Bread Breakfast Buckwheat.]
Breakfast is…my favorite time of the day. While I’m definitely not one of those people who wake up ready to eat, I always make sure I eat my breakfast within a few hours of waking up.
As you may know from my Oat Week series last year, I have oats every.single.day. If it’s not a big piping bowl of oatmeal, I have a giant pile of granola on top of my smoothie bowl. Or I’ll have granola with ice cold almond milk for dinner (this happens more than I’d care to admit, but sometimes, cereal for dinner totally 100% hits the spot).
BUT. When I was asked to try and create a recipe using buckwheat, my whole world was flipped upside down.
Guys! Buckwheat is so so delicious! Who knew?!
Let’s start with the buckwheat, shall we? First of all, I’m using Bob’s Red Mill Buckwheat. For my first experience with buckwheat, I wanted it to be as awesome as possible, so Bob’s came to the rescue. The buckwheat groats (yep, that’s what those cute little seed-like orbs are called!) are perfect, and they cook up in no time. The texture almost reminds me of steel-cut oatmeal, but I very much appreciate the fact that they cook faster. Faster cook time = quicker in my belly.
Fun fact: my first ever recipe here on da blog was for Banana Bread Oats. HAHA at those pictures. BUT it still is one of my favorite recipes because:
- Is there anything better than the flavors of banana bread?!
I was inspired by that recipe to make this Breakfast Buckwheat! We’re using quite a few banana bread-inspired ingredients here today: mashed and sliced banana, chopped walnuts, shredded coconut, almond butter, maple syrup…the works! I also really <3ed throwing some hemp hearts and chia seeds on top because, you know, #health. But also extra protein and crunch! Yum yum.
I v much hope you try this whole grain breakfast! It is the definition of “feel good food,” so let’s start our day on a delicious and healthy foot!
Banana Bread Breakfast Buckwheat
|Prep:||Cook:||Yield: serves 2-4 people||Total:|
An easy, nutritious, and whole grain breakfast that will keep you feeling full all morning! Naturally vegan and gluten free.
- 1 cup raw buckwheat groats (I used Bob's Red Mill)
- 2 cups water / almond milk
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- pinch salt
- 1 very large, ripe banana (1/2 mashed, 1/2 sliced thin)
- toppings: sliced banana (additional if necessary), chopped walnuts, shredded coconut, almond butter, chia / hemp seeds, maple syrup
- Add buckwheat, water / almond milk, cinnamon, and salt to a medium pot. Bring to a boil then cover, reduce to a simmer, and cook for 10 minutes, or until the buckwheat is tender. When only 2 minutes remain, add your 1/2 mashed banana, and stir with a wooden spoon to combine.
- Pour into bowls and top with sliced banana, chopped walnuts, shredded coconut, almond butter, chia / hemp seeds, and / or maple syrup. I really loved this combo, but pick and choose your favorites.
A special thanks goes to Bob’s Red Mill for sponsoring this post! Check out more delicious healthy recipes, snag coupons, and find stores near you at BobsRedMill.com!
Join the Fooduzzi Fam!
I'll send you healthy takes on classic recipes, delectable recipe roundups, and more updates on my growing blog. You'll also receive a free eCookbook featuring my best recipes!