An easy weeknight meal! Oh happy day!
I don’t know about you, but I kinda feel like I have no time for anything this summer. And by that I mean that I’m doing lots of fun stuff and not having any time to do things like laundry, clean the apartment, make my bed, cook dinner, and other various household tasks that are designed to keep an A-type girl (heyyyyoooo) sane.
That being said, I really am having a blast this summer. Between spending time outside, going on vacation with family, hanging out with friends, deepening my love of yoga, and playing guitar, this summer will go down as one of the greats.
However it certainly will not go down as the summer where I cooked a healthy, nutritious meal for dinner every night. I’d be lying if I said we never had popcorn and cereal for dinner this summer. Heck, I’d be lying if I said we didn’t have popcorn and cereal for dinner this past weekend.
I know. Not great. Every once in a while? Totally a-okay. Once a week? Gotta get back on the bandwagon.
Enter: Lemon Garlic Mushroom Pasta.
Easy dinner? Check. Totally takes about 20 minutes? Check once again. Full of fresh herbs, veggies, and delicious healthy fats? Check check check! I <3 this pasta.
I rarely ever eat pasta, but last week I got a pasta craving so fierce, I knew a dish like this was enviable. And it’s so simple, so the flavors really shine. You mix the pasta together with lots of olive oil, garlic, shallots, mushrooms, parsley, and basil. Literally the best.
But it’s even better than the best once you add a bit of lemon zest to the party.
***all the heart-eyed emojis*** Why is lemon zest the most perfect thing ever? Seriously.
And then – brace yourselves, friends -, I topped the whole thing with homemade three-ingredient vegan parm.
Hold the door. This dinner will rock the rest of your summer.
Lemon Garlic Mushroom Pasta
|Prep:||Cook:||Yield: serves 4-6||Total:|
A simple, healthy, and satisfying pasta perfect for a weekday meal! Naturally vegan and easily made gluten free, and it's a 20 minute meal!
- 1/2 cup olive oil, divided
- 1 cup pasta water
- 2 small shallots, minced
- 14 oz. mushrooms, sliced*
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- salt + pepper
- zest of one large lemon
- red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 lb. penne pasta (gf, vegan if necessary)
- parsley + basil, torn
- vegan parmesan**
- Fill a large pot half way with salted water and bring to a boil. Once boiling, add pasta and cook to al dente. Reserve 1 cup of pasta water. Drain the pasta and return it to the same pot.
- While the water is coming up to a boil, add 1/4 cup olive oil to a large pan over medium heat.
- Once hot, add shallots and sauté for a minute, or until translucent.*** Add mushrooms, and cook until tender and golden. Stir the mushrooms infrequently - if you stir them only a bit, they'll develop a delicious golden color!
- Add garlic, season with salt and pepper, and turn off the heat. Add your lemon zest and red pepper flakes, and mix to combine.
- Pour the mushroom mixture over the pasta along with your reserved 1/4 cup olive oil. Add in your reserved pasta water, bit by bit, to thicken the sauce a bit. This pasta isn't supposed to be saucy - it's coated with olive oil loaded with flavor. Season with more salt and pepper, and add your torn herbs. Top with vegan parmesan or nutritional yeast if desired.
*I used a mixture of baby bellas (cremini) and shitake
**I don't have a recipe for vegan parmesan (yet), but I just added cashews, nutritional yeast, lots of salt, and a bit of granulated garlic to a food processor and processed it until it looked like cheese. Here's a similar recipe if you're interested!
***I like to add my pasta to the boiling water when add the mushrooms to the pan to start cooking.
Join the Fooduzzi Fam!
I'll send you healthy takes on classic recipes, delectable recipe roundups, and more updates on my growing blog. You'll also receive a free eCookbook featuring my best recipes!