Alternate title: Summer in a [Watermelon] Bowl.
So fresh! So fun! So tasty! You are going to <3 this one.
I love watermelon. We’ve established this early this week. But right now, I really can’t get enough avocado.
I go through waves where salty avocado is literally all I want to eat, followed shortly by a wave of ew-get-that-green-thing-away-from-me. It’s a vicious cycle.
Right now, however, I am in that Ron Swanson-style gimme-all-the-avocado-you-have cycle, and boy am I loving it.
I had the crazy idea to mix my avo love with my #1 summer love, watermelon, and boom. Deliciousness.
And luckily, it’s one of the simplest recipes ever.
You start out with some watermelon! Preferably watermelon that has already been chopped into cute little cubes and refrigerated. If you have some leftover watermelon sitting in your fridge, yearning for a wonderful culinary use, this recipe is for y-o-u.
Next! Avocado. Creamy, fatty, rich, perfect. It pairs perfectly with the lime juice, granulated garlic, and jalapeño we use to season our salad, and it’s really wonderful next to that beautiful pink watermelon!
I also chose to add some cucumber to the mix. I love the crisp freshness of cucumber, especially in salads in the summer, so into this salad it went. It reminded me of this delightful salsa verde we made earlier this summer. If you’re not a fan of cucumber, no worries. Use some additional avocado instead.
And the herbs! They totally make this salad. We have a small army of mint growing in our herb garden at the moment, and it worked so well with the ingredients here. I also used some purple basil (green will work too!) because it was beautiful in looks and flavor. Is there anything better than these two herbs?!
I really love this salad as a side or a main! For a more filling main dish, I suggest mixing it with quinoa and mayyyybe some chickpeas, but it really is delightful on its own.
I know you’ll love this fresh salady goodness. Enjoy!
Simple Watermelon Avocado Herb Salad
|Prep:||Yield: serves 3-4 people||Total:|
A quick, fresh, no-cook salad perfect for summer! Naturally gluten free and vegan.
- 3 cups diced watermelon, preferably refrigerated
- 1/4 english cucumber, diced
- 1 whole avocado, diced
- 1 and 1/2 - 2 limes, juiced
- 1 Tbsp. watermelon juice
- 1/2 - 1 jalapeño, seeds and ribs removed, diced
- 1/2 tsp. granulated garlic
- green onion to garnish, optional
- 1 small handful mint, sliced thin
- 1 even smaller handful basil, sliced thin
- Combine watermelon, cucumber, and avocado in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- Combine lime juice, watermelon juice, jalapeño, salt, pepper, and granulated garlic in a small bowl. Whisk to combine, then pour over the watermelon mixture.
- Garnish with green onion, mint, and basil. Serve immediately. You can also keep it in the fridge for about a day, but it really does generate a lot of liquid. I'd suggest draining it if you serve it the next day.
Join the Fooduzzi Fam!
I'll send you healthy takes on classic recipes, delectable recipe roundups, and more updates on my growing blog. You'll also receive a series where I share my top dinner, dessert, and snack recipes with you –– for free!