Yep! Warm salad. It’s happening. And I promise it’s not weird.
What is weird though: I used to microwave my salads in college. Like, chopped salads. Like with romaine, beans, and other cool, crisp veggies.
Yes, I’d microwave it. *face-palm*
I was always cold, so the thought of eating a cold salad never appealed to me. So when I wanted to eat a salad (because, hello, health) into the microwave it went.
Gahh the process of writing this out is making me physically gag.
So while normal salads totally should be served cold (just trust me on this), it’s perfectly 100% natural to serve this salad warm. And with no microwave in sight.
SO. This salad is my thing. 99.9% of the time, I have some variance of this for dinner. It’s so simple: grains, sautéed veg, all the toppings – D O N E. Super quick, super delicious, and super satisfying.
But I took it up a notch this time around and added some of my favoriiiite Mexican / taco spices: cumin, chili powder, and my #1 spice love smoked paprika. So good, and perfect for the toppings.
Speaking of which, these salads are super simple, so they do need a little somethin’ somethin’ on top. As you can see from the pictures, I kind of couldn’t contain myself. Lime, avocado, lots of salsa, jalapeño, green onion, and pumpkin seeds went on top, and I honestly wouldn’t have changed a thing. Other ideas: radishes, Ultimate Vegan Dipping Sauce, Queso Hummus, cilantro, hot sauce, mango, pineapple, cashew cream, and pretty much anything that goes inside a taco. You can’t go wrong here. Promise.
I love warm salads like this. It’s really so simple, super healthy, and a great way to get those veggies into your diet.
If you try it, let me know. I think you’ll be on #teamwarmsalad after one blissful bite.
Warm Taco Bliss Salad
|Prep:||Cook:||Yield: serves 2-3||Total:|
A super simple lunch or dinner salad that's ready in about 20 minutes! Filling, nutritious, full of veggies, and vegan!
- 1-2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 5oz. chopped kale
- 1-2 handfuls shredded cabbage
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1/2 tsp. chili powder
- 3/4 tsp. smoked paprika
- salt + pepper
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- Toppings: lime, avocado, lots of salsa, jalapeño, green onion, pumpkin seeds, radishes, Ultimate Vegan Dipping Sauce, Queso Hummus, cilantro, hot sauce, mango, pineapple, cashew cream, etc.!
- Heat your oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add kale and cabbage, season with salt and pepper, and sauté until tender, 5-7 minutes. Add garlic and mix near the end.
- Add cumin, chili powder, smoked paprika, and cooked quinoa, mix, and heat through. Carefully taste, and adjust seasoning. I added some additional salt and pepper.
- Portion out into bowls and top with your favorite toppings. Go as crazy as you want! Life is too short for skimping on the toppings. Serve warm.
I forgot this, but you can totally add in a can of black beans to up the protein content a bit. I'd suggest adding them in when you add in the spices and quinoa to heat them through. You may have to adjust spices here!
Join the Fooduzzi Fam!
I'll send you healthy takes on classic recipes, delectable recipe roundups, and more updates on my growing blog. You'll also receive a series where I share my top dinner, dessert, and snack recipes with you –– for free!