Thursday just kinda crept up on us this week, didn’t it?
But I’m super excited about today because…this sandwich!
I know, I don’t really post many sandwich recipes. I think I’ve posted one tbh. But sandwiches were a favorite of mine back in the day.
Little ol’ Alexa would have her way with sandwiches every day for lunch and sometimes for dinner (grilled cheese and tomato soup was a fave!). Put anything between two slices of bread and I.was.in.
That said, when I started on my gluten free / vegetarian health kick, sandwiches fell by the wayside.
But now? I’m slowly getting in the sandwich groove once again, and I’m totally lovin’ it.
And what a better way to do that than with this Rainbow Veggie Sandwich from The Pretty Dish (affiliate link)!!
I had always looked up to Jessica. Ever since starting my blogging “journey.”
She is one of the hardest working person I know. Raising two small kids, running her own business with employees, and posting every day (sometimes multiple times per day) on her blog? Superwoman in blogger form. It’s crazy.
And she’s helpful. Like when I text her at 10:30 pm asking for blogging advice, she’s always willing to help.
That might have happened this week. 🙃
And this cookbook is just magnificent! Each recipe is so beautifully styled and photographed, and the flavors of each dish are really something special. While most of the book is not vegan or vegetarian, a lot of the recipes can be made vegan or vegetarian with a few adaptions. Plus, there are beauty DIYs that I can’t wait to try out!
One of those already-vegetarian options? This sandwich! This gloriously colorful sandwich!
The ingredient list is…a bit long for a sandwich. But SO good and necessary. I couldn’t believe how well all of these flavors worked together; the tang from the pickled radishes, the sweetness from the roasted sweet potato and peppers, the herbaciousness from the “cheese” spread…Mark and I fan-girled over this combo hard.
A prep tip: prepare your pickled radishes, roasted sweet potato, and roasted peppers the night before. That’s what I did, and the sandwiches came together in no time.
And in typical Alexa form, I made a few adaptations: I skipped the goat cheese spread and made my Cashew Ricotta instead, and I couldn’t find purple sweet potato, so I just used orange.
And you know what? It still came out awesome.
Congrats on this amazing book, Jessica!
And friends, I hope you love this sandwich as much as we did. Mark and I both devoured it less than 5 minutes after I was done shooting, so…
Rainbow Veggie Sandwich
|Prep:||Cook:||Yield: 2 big sandwiches||Total:|
Check out this amazing sandwich recipe from The Pretty Dish! It's loaded with veggies, flavor, and textures. It's the perfect vegan sandwich!
- PICKLED RADISHES:
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced radishes
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 and 1/2 Tbsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. coarse salt
- ROASTED SWEET POTATO:
- 1 sweet potato, sliced*
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- salt + pepper
- ROASTED PEPPERS:
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and sliced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, seeded and sliced
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- HERB CHEESE SPREAD:
- Vegan Cashew Ricotta**
- 4 slices bread (GF and/or vegan if necessary)
- 1 avocado, thinly sliced
- butter lettuce leaves
- handful of rainbow micro greens***
- 1/4 red onion, thinly sliced
- PICKLED RADISHES: Place the radish slices in a jar or cup. In a bowl, whisk together the vinegar, sugar, and salt until the sugar and salt dissolve. Pour over the sliced radishes. Let sit at room temperature for an hour. You can make this a day or 2 ahead of time and store it in the fridge in a sealed container or jar.
- ROASTED SWEET POTATO: Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Place the potato slices on a baking sheet and drizzle with the olive oil. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Roast for 30 minutes, or until fork-tender.
- ROASTED PEPPERS: Preheat the broiler to high. Rub the pepper slices with the olive oil and place them on a baking sheet, skin side up. Broil the peppers until the skin becomes blackened and charred.
- Remove the peppers and place them in a resealable plastic bag for 30 minutes to steam. Peel the skin off the peppers. I like removing the seeds and slicing them into thin slices too.
- CASHEW RICOTTA: Follow the instructions here. You'll want to soak your cashews overnight or in hot water for about an hour.
- ASSEMBLE: Spread 2 slices of the bread with your cheese mixture. Begin by adding a few of the pickled radishes, the red peppers, the yellow peppers, and then the avocado, lettuce, and micro greens. Add the onion and potato. Serve with lots of potato chips!
*Jessica used a purple sweet potato, which I love but couldn't find. I substituted a regular orange sweet potato with no issues.
**Jessica made a goat cheese spread for her sandwich. I'm so not a goat cheese fan, so I substituted my Cashew Ricotta in its place. If you want to make the goat cheese spread: stir 6 oz. goat cheese (softened), 1/2 tsp. olive oil, 1 Tbsp. chopped fresh basil, and 1 tsp. chopped fresh oregano in a bowl until combined.
***I couldn't find rainbow micro greens, so I just found some sprouts and used them instead. Yum!
Make-ahead tip: prepare your pickled radishes, roasted sweet potato, and roasted peppers and soak your cashews the night before. That's what I did, and the sandwiches came together in no time.
Recipe adapted from The Pretty Dish (affiliate link)! I was gifted a copy. Recipe reprinted with permission from the author.
ps. Affiliate links were used in this post. That means if you click the link and purchase through that link, Fooduzzi will get some moolah at no cost to you. Kinda cool, right? Thanks for supporting more plant-based yum on the blog!
Join the Fooduzzi Fam!
I'll send you healthy takes on classic recipes, delectable recipe roundups, and more updates on my growing blog. You'll also receive a series where I share my top dinner, dessert, and snack recipes with you –– for free!