Without fail, I crave one thing when the weather starts to turn, the leaves start to change, and the TV is filled with all-things spooky.
To be fair, my Halloweens are never creepy and scary. I’m much more interested in embracing the “treat” side of the whole “trick or treat” situation.
And that’s why I decided to do everything in my power to pack all the chocolate into a perfectly chewy, cookie dough-like cookie. Oh, and make that cookie vegan. And like…so mouthwateringly perfect.
These Chewy Vegan Peanut Butter Cup Cookies are my new favorite cookies, and I do not take that phrase lightly.
Let’s chat deets, shall we? It’s pretty much a standard chocolate chip cookie recipe with a few notable (and vegan!) exceptions:
I. Instead of eggs…we’re using Bob’s Red Mill’s Vegan Egg Replacer! It’s honestly one of those ingredients that I always have in my pantry for whenever I need a quick, easy, and effective egg replacement. You just mix a tablespoon of the mixture with water, let it sit for a minute or two, and you have a nearly-instant vegan egg! It’s so great for baking all the things, so with the holidays coming up, I highly suggest picking up a bag (or two)! One bag lasts me a few months (and I do a lot of baking). Try making this or this with the rest of the bag!
II. Instead of butter…we’re using vegan butter! Pretty self-explanatory–there are approximately 59834 different vegan butter options on the market these days–but it’s a great way to keep that rich and decadent taste without making your cookies super oily (or worse, cakey).
III. Instead of regular all-purpose flour…we’re using Bob’s Red Mill’s Organic All-Purpose Flour! You may be thinking, “Is it really all that different?” And my answer to you is yes. Bob’s flours are unbleached and unenriched, so you’re always getting 100% flour. Plus, there’s no risk of picking up on a weird or off-putting bleached flavor with the BRM brand!
IV. Instead of white sugar…we’re using brown! For maximum chew, a slight molasses flavor, and a bit more moisture.
V. Instead of regular chocolate chips…we’re using mini chocolate chips and mini dark chocolate peanut butter cups! I love peanut butter cups this time of year, and chopping them up and adding them to cookies creates these gooey pockets of chocolate and peanut butter yum that I just can’t get enough of. After just one bite, you’ll ask yourself why this isn’t a thing you do with all of your chocolate chip cookie recipes. Trust.
EEP! I love these cookies so much. And I know you will too. Especially if you’re looking to make a vegan treat with some of your Halloween treats.
I hope you love these, friends! Happy Halloween!Print
Chewy Vegan Peanut Butter Cup Cookies
Say hello to my new favorite vegan cookie! Simple ingredient swaps keep this recipe vegan while maintaining the perfect texture, chew, and flavor!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 11 cookies 1x
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
1 Tbsp. Bob’s Red Mill Vegan Egg Replacer
2 Tbsp. water
1 and 1/2 cups Bob’s Red Mill Organic All-Purpose Flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. cornstarch/arrowroot flour
1/2 cup melted vegan butter*
3/4 cup lightly-packed brown sugar
splash vanilla extract
10 vegan mini dark chocolate peanut butter cups, unwrapped and roughly chopped
~1/3 cup vegan mini chocolate chips
- Mix your egg replacer and water in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Whisk your flour, baking soda, cornstarch, and salt in a large bowl. Set aside.
- Whisk your vegan butter, brown sugar, and vanilla in a medium bowl. Add to your flour mixture, and mix with a spatula until almost combined. Stir in your peanut butter cups, making sure not to over-mix.
- Cover the bowl and allow to sit in the fridge overnight.
- The next day, preheat your oven to 325 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Measure out 3 Tbsp. dough and roll into mounds that are taller than they are wide (see photo in post) – they’ll look like an oval, and this ensures that they spread the correct amount! Press mini chocolate chips on top.
- Evenly space six of your dough balls on your baking sheet. Baking in batches ensures they won’t spread into one another. Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until lightly golden. They’ll look underdone, but they’ll continue baking on the baking sheet. Press additional mini chocolate chips on top for aesthetics if the cookies spread in a weird way (mine did).
- Allow your cookies to cool for 15 minutes on the baking sheet before moving them to a cooling rack to cool completely. Continue baking the second batch of cookies.
- BONUS TIP! I love storing my cookies in the fridge. They’re SO chewy and yum.
*Your vegan butter should be just melted, but not hot. ~15 seconds works for my microwave!
Adapted from my Chewy Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies – these ones are gluten free!
Keywords: vegan cookies, chocolate chip cookies, peanut butter cup cookies, vegan halloween dessert
Join the Fooduzzi Fam!
I'll send you healthy takes on classic recipes, delectable recipe roundups, and more updates on my growing blog. You'll also receive a free eCookbook featuring my best recipes!