Today we’re taking all of life’s best things, tucking it into a big ol’ flour tortilla, and diving right. on. in.
Yep, I’m trading in the oatmeal I eat on the regular for a veggie- and protein-filled burrito. And it’s for breakfast!
I’m typically #teamsweet whenever it comes to breakfast, but Mark is, and always has been, the complete opposite.
He’ll eat leftovers from dinner for breakfast. I just…can’t. My brain literally doesn’t comprehend how that works.
That said, this vegan breakfast burrito situation is one that we can both agree on.
I was delightfully surprised at how quickly this burrito came together.
First step: Make your tofu scramble. We discussed how to do that last week, and it really is SO simple to make. Really quick too! Should give you just enough time to…
Heat up your tots. Yep. We’re putting tater tots in this burrito. Why not? I’m convinced that tater tots are a top-tier food. One of my faves. The crispy outside, the soft and tender inside. I love them oh-so much.
That said, I tried to do something “fancy” and go with sweet potato tots here. I probably would suggest sticking with the traditional tots –– the sweet potato version, while delicious, was a little too sweet. Whichever you choose, you’ll just need a handful (plus more for munching, on the side).
Then: toppings! Salsa, hot sauce, pico, cilantro –– the works. Whatever you like on your burritos and/or tacos, try it on this burrito! I used a corn salsa, a regular tomato-based salsa, hot sauce, some avocado, and cilantro.
Colorful and tasty.
I also hiiiiighly suggest having some of Pinch of Yum’s Chipotle Cashew Queso on the side. Honestly one of my new favorite recipes. And the best vegan “queso” I’ve ever had.
Mark, a hardcore queso lover, concurs.
And that’s a wrap! Quite literally, in fact. And while these are technically breakfast burritos, I won’t tell if you have them for lunch and/or dinner.
So long as you won’t tell on me for doing the same, of course.Print
Vegan Breakfast Burrito with Tater Tots and Tofu Scramble
A quick, simple vegan breakfast burrito recipe that’s tasty, filling, and full ingredients like avocado, tofu scramble, and tater tots. Stuff with your favorite salsas, spreads, and sauces!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 2 burritos 1x
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Sauté
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Diet: Vegan
- 1 batch Quick & Easy Tofu Scramble
- A few handfuls frozen tater tots (sweet potato or regular), cooked according to package directions*
- 2 large burrito-style tortillas (gf if desired)
- 1/2 avocado, mashed
- A few spoonfuls of your favorite salsa(s) (we liked a corn salsa and a regular tomato-based salsa)
- Hot sauce
- Fresh cilantro
- After you have your tofu scramble and your tater tots cooked, you can assemble your epic vegan breakfast burrito!
- Heat your tortillas one-by-one in the microwave for 20-30 seconds. You just want it warm and pliable. You can also do this carefully over a gas stove if desired.
- Place one tortilla on a plate and spread the middle with a bit of avocado, leaving a good bit of space on all sides. See the photo in the post for how much your tortilla should be filled.
- Layer some tofu scramble, tots, salsa, hot sauce, and cilantro over the avocado, and roll to wrap (bottom first, then the sides, then roll the whole thing over the un-rolled side). Do the same with the other burrito, knowing you’ll have some tofu scramble leftover (it reheats well, so no harm done). Dive in!
* I actually like to bake my tots for even longer than the package says. A crispy element really goes a long, delicious way in these burritos, so I suggest to do the same. Just keep an eye on them so they don’t burn. I also like to hit them with a wee bit of salt when they’re done baking!
Keywords: vegan burrito, breakfast burrito, egg substitute
Join the Fooduzzi Fam!
I'll send you healthy takes on classic recipes, delectable recipe roundups, and more updates on my growing blog. You'll also receive a free eCookbook featuring my best recipes!