Fact: Mini food just tastes better.
Another fact: Fresh herbs plus vegan butter plus flour plus a few other ingredients makes really killer biscuits.
Currently, my house smells like Thanksgiving. And it took about 20 minutes to get to this point.
Praise be for carbs!
Speaking of, Thanksgiving will quickly be upon us (for those of us in the the US, that is). And I think these mini biscuits would be the perfect addition to your Thanksgiving spread.
Why? Well, because we want some sort of bread situation on the table, right? But you also don’t want to fill up on rolls or biscuits because there is just so much to eat and enjoy during that Thanksgiving feast.
Enter: Mini Biscuits!
While these biscuits are lil, their flavor is anything but lil. In fact, they sorta kinda remind me of those excellent Cheddar Bay Biscuits from that popular seafood chain.
They’re salty, flaky, and perfectly buttery. And they’re super simple to make!
If you’ve never made biscuits before, keeping everything cold is the name of the game. Cold ingredients = maximum flake and rise out of these cuties, so when the recipe says cold, I really really mean it.
Other than that, everything is pretty straight forward. You’ll need some dry ingredients –– flour, baking powder, salt, sugar, herbs –– and some wet ingredients –– cold vegan butter, cold plant milk. Mix them all together, punch out 1 and 1/2-inch circles, bake, and bam! You have biscuits.
They can get extra fun and flavorful with a quick drizzle of some herby, garlicky melted vegan butter. I’d say this is optional, but it really isn’t. Lots of flavor comes from that drizzle!
Easy, simple, mini.
Mark gave these two (literal) thumbs up, and ate about 12 of them in one sitting. But because they’re mini, you can totally do that, right?Print
Mini Vegan Herb Biscuits
While these biscuits are lil, their flavor is anything *but* lil. You’ll love these two-biters for Thanksgiving, holidays, or a quick weeknight side!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 8-10 mini biscuits
- Category: Appetizer
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Vegan
- 6 tablespoons unsweetened plant milk (almond, soy, etc.)
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice or apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup (120 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons cold vegan butter
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh herbs*
HERB BUTTER TOPPING:
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter, melted
- 1 small clove garlic, minced (optional)
- 1/2 tablespoon chopped fresh herbs*
- pinch salt
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl or glass, combine your plant milk and lemon juice or apple cider vinegar. Mix and place in the fridge.
- In a medium bowl, add your flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt. Whisk to combine.
- Using a box grater, grate your vegan butter with the largest hole into your flour mixture. Toss the butter pieces in the flour mixture to coat. There should still be big strands of cold butter throughout your mixture.
- Add your chopped herbs, mix, and place the bowl in the fridge for 15 minutes to chill.
- After 15 minutes, dust your counter with flour. Remove your flour mixture and your milk mixture from the fridge. Add the milk to the flour, and stir gently to combine. You don’t want to over-mix here.
- Dump your dough onto your floured surface and gently push together to form a cohesive dough. Fold the dough in half, turn 90 degrees, pat it down to lengthen, and fold again. In total, you’ll want to fold the dough 4 or 5 times. Again, you’ll see big strands of butter here, and that’s okay! Pat the dough until it’s 1-inch in height.
- Using a floured 1-1/2 inch circle cutter, punch out biscuits. You can squeeze remaining dough together once to get a few more biscuits out of the batch.
- Place biscuits on your prepared baking sheet and gently even out the top with your thumb so the biscuits are relatively level. If they’re not level, they may fall over in the oven. It won’t affect their flavor at all, but they’ll look a little funny (as a few of mine did in the photos above!).
- Bake for 8-10 minutes, or until lightly golden.
- While your biscuits are baking, combine your melted vegan butter, garlic, herbs, and salt in a small bowl.
- When the biscuits are done and you’re ready to serve, brush/spoon the top of each with your butter mixture. Serve warm!
* Use a hearty herb blend here –– I used a little bit of thyme, rosemary, and sage!
Recipe adapted from Sugar Spun Run.
Keywords: herb biscuits, vegan biscuits
Join the Fooduzzi Fam!
I'll send you healthy takes on classic recipes, delectable recipe roundups, and more updates on my growing blog. You'll also receive a series where I share my top dinner, dessert, and snack recipes with you –– for free!