I am so obsessed with this pie.
And this is coming from the biggest self-proclaimed pie-hater.
Oh yeah, I went there. Pie. Hater.
It’s a crust thing! I hate crust. The filling is always fantastic – bright and fruity, sweet and fluffy, soft and creamy. What’s not to love about filling?
But the crust. That flavorless, odd-textured bottom is just something I’ve never enjoyed. I realize crust is actually some people’s favorite part of the pie.
I also realize that those people are crazy.
Crust just always gets in the way of the real star of the whole pie equation.
I don’t need no flakey bits all up in my filling.
So it’s kind of amazing that I love this pie as much as I do. Mark can attest to the fact that I’ve eaten a few bites of it hanging over the kitchen sink, straight from the knife, like some sort of pie-crazed animal.
I now understand the whole pie hype. Get hype, friends. Ya’lls gonna love this one.
We start with the crust. This crust is completely raw, free from refined sugars, gluten free, and vegan. And it requires only three ingredients. I love this kind of crust. It’s made from medjool dates, cashews, and shredded coconut and man oh man is it tasty. Because of the coconut and cashews, it doesn’t just taste like straight-up dates. It’s chewy, nutty, and sweet, so it’s the perfect texture to break up the soft fluffiness of that TO.DIE.FOR filling.
Speaking of, this stuff might just be what dreams are made of. We’re essentially making a coconut whipped cream out of coconut cream (full-fat coconut milk works too!), maple syrup, and vanilla extract. It’s ridiculously fluffy and light, yet it’s super rich and creamy. It’s very possible that I was licking the spatula, whisk, and bowl clean between photographs. Strawberry Coconut Cream Pie-crazed animal right here.
And then, the toppings. Because a dish is only as good as its toppings, right?! I picked up some B-E-A-UTIFUL strawberries from Trader Joe’s the other day, so I sliced and diced them and tried to make them look pretty. I’m clearly no pie decorating expert, so you do you and make it look however you want. I also topped it with some toasted coconut (5-minute step-by-step tutorial here!), fresh mint, and grated dark chocolate because why the heck not. I think some fresh blueberries would be GORGEOUS here, and I’m totally making this for my family over the 4th of July weekend doing that very thing!
Between the coconut whipped cream filling and the fresh strawberries on top, this totally reminds me of the strawberries and whipped cream I so fondly remember from my childhood. We always had these two in the fridge during the summer months, and we’d often pair them with angel food cake (SO good).
This pie is so light and refreshing, and SO dang easy to make – it just SCREAMS summer! Enjoy, friends!Print
Strawberry Coconut Cream Pie (Vegan)
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Total Time: 10 mins
- Yield: 8-10 1x
- THE CRUST:
- a heaping ¾ cup (about 11) medjool dates, pitted and soaked in hot water for 5 minutes, then drained completely
- 3/4 cup raw cashews, roughly chopped (raw almonds work too!)
- 1/4 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- THE FILLING & TOPPING:
- 1 14-oz. can coconut cream, refrigerated overnight*
- 2 Tbsp. maple syrup
- splash pure vanilla extract
- 1 lb. strawberries sliced and diced (see photos)
- for topping: toasted coconut, fresh mint, grated dark chocolate
- Prepare the crust: Place drained dates, cashew pieces, and coconut in a food processor, and process until the mixture can easily be squeezed into a ball.
- Line an 8-inch round cake pan with plastic wrap (you’ll want some overhang so you can remove the pie later). Dump date-cashew-coconut mixture into the center and flatten it with your fingers, pressing up the sides of the pan slightly. Place in the freezer to set.
- Prepare the filling: Remove coconut cream from the fridge. Scoop out the solid white part and place it in the bowl of a stand mixer (a hand mixer would work, too!). Add maple syrup and vanilla, and whip until combined, smooth, and fluffy, about 1-2 minutes. It should form stiff peaks.
- Assemble: Remove crust from the freezer. Pour the filling on top, smoothing out the top with a spatula. Set in the freezer for 10 minutes.
- Remove from freezer and top with strawberries, toasted coconut, mint, and chocolate. Place back in the freezer for 1 hour.
- Remove from freezer and carefully remove the pie from the pie pan and plastic wrap.** Place on a plate, cut, and serve. Store covered in the fridge.
*If you can’t find coconut cream (I find mine at Trader Joe’s near the salsas), feel free to use TWO cans of full-fat coconut milk. Refrigerate the cans overnight. Remove the cans from the fridge the next day, flip the cans over, and open them from the bottom. Pour out the liquid and save for another use. Scoop the coconut cream (the thick white stuff), and use it in place of the coconut cream in this recipe.
**The crust isn’t all that sturdy, so I found that it was easiest to pull the pie out of the pan using the plastic wrap, and then balance it on my hand, removing the plastic wrap in the process. You could even place it on a flat surface, and then carefully slide the plastic wrap out from underneath.
P.S. Let me know if you give this Strawberry Coconut Cream Pie (or any of my recipes!), and tag me on Instagram or Facebook (@fooduzzi) so I can see your beautiful creation!
Join the Fooduzzi Fam!
I'll send you healthy takes on classic recipes, delectable recipe roundups, and more updates on my growing blog. You'll also receive a series where I share my top dinner, dessert, and snack recipes with you –– for free!