Easy peasy. That’s the name of the game today, my friend.
We’re going fresh, fast, and fabulous, and I couldn’t be more into it.
Let me start out by saying: the struggle naming this concoction was real.
“Do people like the word salad or bowl more? Is there a certain rule that makes it one or the other?” <– these are the questions that keep a food blogger like myself up at night.
When I first thought up the recipes for this week, I was convinced that I was going to be making a bowl filled with veggies, quinoa as a base, and a few chickpea-based falafel on top.
But we all know how the chickpea-based falafel idea turned out.
Spoiler alert: it fala-failed.
But because I already had some quinoa cooked for this bowl recipe, I decided to turn them into falafel. And because quinoa falafel on top of a quinoa base just seemed like too much of a good thing, we’re switching it up and making a salad with a lettuce base!
Phew that was a long explanation for a relatively simple meal. I get wordy when I’m excited.
Lettuce jump into it!
- You can pretty much top your lettuce-y salads with any Mediterranean-inspired ingredients you’d like. I went fairly simple here, but I loved this combo so much! Fresh cukes, juicy tomatoes, fresh red onion (which I soaked in ice water for a bit so that they were a little less strong), store-bought tabouli (my new favorite thing!!), pita chips, and our new favorite cuties, Baked Lemon Herb Quinoa Falafel. If you’d like to go crazier, by all means. Other ideas would be marinated olives, baked olives, vegan ricotta, vegan parmesan roasted broccoli, roasted chickpeas, hummus, dried figs or dates, marinated artichokes, and so much more! The possibilities and combinations are endless!!
- Whatever you end up topping your salad with, be sure to never ever times infinity skip this dressing. It is in my top five favorite recipes ever to come out of my kitchen. I love it like woah, and I expect you, too, will love it like woah. It’s my Crazy Addictive 4 Ingredient Lemon Tahini Sauce (and yes, that’s the real name). You will love this stuff. It’s just sweet enough, just tangy enough, just rich enough, and just drinkable enough. The best.
Pile it high, style it for a few snaps for Instagram, and you’ve just made a delicious, filling, and nutritious meal. And I should know – I’ve had it for dinner for the past four nights. ;)
Vegan Mediterranean Quinoa Falafel Salad
|Prep:||Cook:||Yield: serves 2 people||Total:|
A fresh, fast, and fabulous salad that's full of protein and nutrients. Naturally vegan and gluten free, and it's super filling!
- 1 small head romaine lettuce, chopped or shredded
- 1/4 red onion, diced*
- 2-3 campari tomatoes, sliced
- 2 small cucumbers, sliced
- 1/2 cup tabouli (I used store-bought)
- 1 large handful pita crackers
- salt + pepper
- (other topping ideas in the post!)
- 1 recipe Baked Lemon Herb Quinoa Falafel
- 1 recipe 4-Ingredient Lemon Tahini Sauce
- Cut up all of your salad ingredients. Make your falafel (this takes about 1 hour) and your dressing. Divide into two bowls, season with salt + pepper, and serve!**
*If raw red onion is too strong, soak the chopped pieces in ice water for a few minutes or use green onions!
**You may have additional falafel left over if you're not very hungry. I like eating 2-3 per meal. Store leftovers in an air-tight container in the fridge.
Inspired by my girl, Lindsay at Pinch of Yum!
Join the Fooduzzi Fam!
I'll send you healthy takes on classic recipes, delectable recipe roundups, and more updates on my growing blog. You'll also receive a series where I share my top dinner, dessert, and snack recipes with you –– for free!